HELP! replacing stickers....

Pickle":2a3sxpeu said:
Clean any residue with white spirit and a rag (or your wifes nail varnish remover

:shock: Be REALLY careful with nail polish remover !!! :shock: It is acetone and can directly attack some paint finishes.......One thing that will clean glue residue from ANY surface without any adverse effect is good old fashioned lighter fuel which is strong enough to break down the muck left by stickers but evaporates harmlessly with no risk of damage....

Eddie King":32i9oj7e said:
Be REALLY careful with nail polish remover

+1 Cheap nail polish remover is what I keep in the shed to strip paint from small parts.
Maybe not available over there but fwiw you cant beat Eucalyptus Oil or Tea Tree Oil for removing glue and gunk from painted surfaces. Mineral turps is always a pretty safe bet too.

thanks for all the advice but i had a better look last night and there not stickers but more like there etched into the frame so i dont think i'll be removing them as i dont fancy repainting the whole frame. :?

Blowtorch?!?!?
Nitromors?!?!?!?

Urrrr never.

Just need a solvent or some alcohol to break down the adhesive.

Skeelsie":2z55gc1e said:
Just need a solvent or some alcohol to break down the adhesive.

Its really REALLY easy ;) ....as a few people have now said - LIGHTER FUEL....it evaporates without trace but is not strong enough to damage any kind of paint finish....really...honestly....truly :)

Basically you are looking for Acetone, sadly this is the good bit if your into solvent abuse, so they are not to keen to sell you buckets of the stuff :shock:

This is the most effective at removing the glue residue, a little warmth (hairdryer) is enough to soften the glue and make them easier to remove, assuming there is not a clear coat/lacquer over them

good luck

:!: :!:
gil_m":28bscwoy said:
Basically you are looking for Acetone
:!: :!:

:shock: :shock: AAAAGH !!!....No you're not !! :shock: ....I don't want you to damage your bike so a third and final entry on the subject...

Acetone WILL attack many paint finishes....just think about it :idea: ....it's used for stripping enamel from nails !! :shock: ...There are many alternatives all of which have been mentioned and all of which work safely though some better than others....but although White Spirit,Metholayted Spirits,Spirit of Turpentine all work LIGHTER FUEL is the cheapest and safest.....please believe me......(certificate in paint spraying is my back up)....

So good luck....a pound's worth of Lighter Fuel and one half hour of elbow grease and you'll be good to go :)

I would hope your paint finish is slightly better than your Mrs nice red pinky toes ;)

What I should have said was a dilute of Acetone, so ideally a solvent with acetone content, think your going to find Lighter Fluid slightly more easily than a Litre of Acetone anyway...

gil_m":1kl0n7aw said:
think your going to find Lighter Fluid slightly more easily than a Litre of Acetone anyway...

:LOL: :LOL: ....a litre of Acetone ?!! :shock: ......are you actually The Toxic Avenger in your spare time ? :LOL:

Back