HELP! replacing stickers....

freeride-mike

Dirt Disciple
I need some help, im thinking of replacing the stickers/decals on my GIANT but dont wanna damage the paint/frame, ive been told its a 2006 model so theyve been on there 4-5yrs so whats the best way to get them off i dont mind faded paint underneath as i will be replacing them with darker stickers.

thanks in advance
mike :)

Hairdrier and patience ;)

Using a hairdrier softens the glue so after a few minutes the sticker should just peel off. Clean any residue with white spirit and a rag (or your wifes nail varnish remover :LOL: ).

ok cool i'll give that a try............. not the nail varnish though (she'd kill me lol)

they are stickers on bikes of this age arnt they coz they dont seem to look like the stickers i had on my old GT and i heard sumwhere they lazer them onto the frame these days??

cheers mike

Know idea without looking.

I know the decals on my old 07 Avalanche were painted on or lacquered over so there was no way of changing them.

Maybe all newer bikes are lacquered over so you can never change them.

Try emailing Giant to check.

I'll have a better look tonight, could alweays have a go at 1 of the small 1's see how it go's before i try the large GIANT 1's on the main tube.

i suppose if all else fails and the new decals are the exact same size and being as the old 1's are white and the new 1's will be black i could just put them over the top :?

mike

Pickle":1f7do7xv said:
Hairdrier and patience ;)

Using a hairdrier softens the glue so after a few minutes the sticker should just peel off. Clean any residue with white spirit and a rag (or your wifes nail varnish remover :LOL: ).

Or even better, Ronsonol lighter fluid. Some nail polish removers actually have oily "nail nutrients" in them, which isn't what you want if you are going to re-decal the frame. ;)

If you're feeling brave, Nitromors takes the printed on/silk screened/whatever graphics on a lot of modern bike stuff off very easily. Obviously better on something anodised that you can't hurt the finish underneath on, but it does work on painted frames if you're VERY careful. I've took the graphics off a Charge frame with it before.

If you use a blowtorch very carefully you can get some stickers to just crinkle up and fall off almost by themselves - unless you hold the torch in one spot for too long you shouldn't harm the paint - I've held a blowtorch on the BB shell of an old steel GT for about 2 minutes (trying to loosen a rusted in BB) without any noticeable damage to the paint.

Back