Help! Punctures! Please give me your advice!

You don't really notice the difference most of the time. They're a bit heavier but unless you're running lightweight wheels and skinny tyres it's not going to slow you down any on a normal ride. Even less so on a modern bike with fat tyres.

Do y'all have Stan's over there? Meant for sealing tubeless systems but I use the stuff in the tubes on my CX bike and it works great.

Same concept as Slime, only less dense, so the valve remains un-gunked. You'll need tubes with removable valve cores.

www.notubes.com

Also, what tyres do you have? I've mentioned this before, but there's a big difference in how puncture resistant some makes and models of tyres are compared to others. I had a pair of Panaracer Mach SS and I got a puncture on average every 10 to 15 miles on my regular route, usually a small piece of flint was the culprit. I swapped them for a pair of Schwalbe Sammy Slicks and haven't had a puncture in about 200 miles so far. The Schwalbe Hurricanes on my other bike don't get many punctures either and I've never had a puncture in about 2,000 miles in the Schwalbe Marathon Plus' I have fitted to my "shopping" bike, but at nearly a kilo a piece, they are heavy. :shock:

I'm using Continental Mountain King 2.2's at the moment, they are pretty light & do feel alot thinner than some of the other tyres I have. At the moment I've got an old Tioga Factory mud 1.75 on the back coz the route I use is pretty wet & interesting. I must admit this hasn't had a puncture for a while now, so I can see where your coming from regarding tyres.
Cheers.

Unlike LikeClockwork, I've found buying plain tubes and Sliming them myself works better. Have the valve at about ten to the hour when pumping and spin the wheel as soon as possible. And yes IME the stuff does work!

I don't always bother with it except on wheels that are cumbersome to remove (hub gears/brakes), where can make winter riding a lot less of a hassle.

I've not used slime tubes, but I run DH tubes, not the ones that work by stretching, the ones that are just super thick, strong rubber. Chin shing(spelling) make them, never ever had a flat with them and wouldn't think I ever would.
Sure they're heavier, but the peace of mind you get from them is worth more, plus I don't bother carrying a spare tube or pump anymore which is a bonus.

+1 for Ground controls, tubeless, i set them up and forget them, Stan's latex claims it will seal anything upto a quarter inch gash.

Back