HELP PLEASE!!!!

Gjh1107

Dirt Disciple
hi this will be a stupid question for most of you, so i aplogise.

is a top swing front mech the same as a top pull mech?
i need a top pull xtr front mech and i have finally found one but its listed as top pull, is this what i need??
cheers

Top or bottom/down pull refers to where the cable is pulling from.
Top swing or bottom swing/conventional refers to the position of the clamping band in relation to the mech pivots and cage..

FD-M738-BS-BP.jpg

XT FD-M738 ~ Conventional or bottom swing - Bottom or down pull.

FD-M738-BS-TP.jpg

XT FD-M738 ~ Conventional or bottom swing - Top pull.

FD-M739-TS-BP.jpg

XT FD-M739 ~ Top swing - Bottom or down pull. (Cable bolt above and in front of main pivot)

FD-M739-TS-TP.jpg

XT FD-M739 ~ Top swing - Top pull. (Cable bolt behind and below main pivot)

Note the position of the cable bolt in relation to the main pivot when working out cable pull direction.
Most modern mechs will have a dual pull pivot with cable guides allowing cable pull from either direction.

Bottom 'swing' is a conventional style front mech., top 'pull' is where the cable comes 'down' from the top tube; bottom 'pull' is where the cable comes 'up' from under the bottom bracket. Top 'swing' is the type of front mech. that sits low on the seat tube behind the the chainset...

...PLEASE let me have got that right for a change!

Top 'swing' mech's can often be top AND bottom 'pull' as well as either or...

...any the wiser?

I would imagine you are after a top 'pull' bottom 'swing' mech...

...then of course you need the correct diameter clamp for your seat tube!

ive got 1997 schwinn moab, i need a top pull 31.8 xtr m952 front mech for it, i have just found one that says top swing 31.8 tp next to the size????
would this fit

It depends which 'pull' it is...

if it's 'top' pull or top OR bottom pull then it will be okay; I have a top pull, top swing XTR front mech. on my Explosif.

Back