Help please - Steel GT serial numbers

If it is definitely cantis I can think of two possibilities:
* They switched from ubrakes to cantis for some models during 1992 - would make sense if they were changing factories
* They started building 1993 Outpost frames at Hodaka in January 1992. That seems premature, but could be because of the factory move - time to scale up.
I think in 1993 the Talera went to vertical dropouts, so my best guess is a mid-year 1992 Outpost or a very early made 1993. The only way to ID further is probably finding traces of the original paint, which might only be in the bottom bracket shell. A quick Google search hasn't led me to any cantilever equipped '92 Outposts, so maybe they did start the '93s early or I'm misinterpreting the serial.

If it is definitely cantis I can think of two possibilities:
* They switched from ubrakes to cantis for some models during 1992 - would make sense if they were changing factories
* They started building 1993 Outpost frames at Hodaka in January 1992. That seems premature, but could be because of the factory move - time to scale up.
I think in 1993 the Talera went to vertical dropouts, so my best guess is a mid-year 1992 Outpost or a very early made 1993. The only way to ID further is probably finding traces of the original paint, which might only be in the bottom bracket shell. A quick Google search hasn't led me to any cantilever equipped '92 Outposts, so maybe they did start the '93s early or I'm misinterpreting the serial.
Bottom bracket is sealed so I don't believe it's original

1991 Talera came with Shimano 300LX (assuming the derailleur and cranks are original :) )
I don't trust their original . Nothing but frame is as the bottom brake is sealed. It's aftermarket head set to. Same with the front beeaks.. pedals look like huffys

I don't trust their original . Nothing but frame is as the bottom brake is sealed. It's aftermarket head set to. Same with the front beeaks.. pedals look like huffys
Fair enough. I think then it is either a Talera or Outpost from that 91-93 period, if the rear brake is U-brake it's probably 91, if it's Cantis probably 93... If there is any trace of the original paint under the purple, that could be the ticket to nailing it down :)

There should be some difference between the Timberline and the Talera/Outpost frames, because I think that year the Timberline was True Temper and the other two were Tange, but whether there are any features that make that obvious or not I'm not sure - possibly different seat post size, but that doesn't help if it's not the original.
Timberline was not TrueTemper ever.

Back