Help needed with Cannondale M800 headset

ballondale

Retro Newbie
Hi there, this is a great forum. Stumbled my way in here looking for a solution to my headset woes and I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable folk might be able to help.

I have a 1994 M800 and I'm looking for help on replacing the headset. I'm an expat Brit living in Indonesia, btw, so my nearest Cannondale dealer is Singapore or Hongkong, neither of which are really practical as a solution

I replaced the stock Pepperoni fork with Mk 1 Rock Shox about a year after I bought the bike new. I don't ride it that often these days - I also have a 99 Super V 500 - but I recently decided it needed some love so I took it to my LBS with a view to doing some fixing up and fitting new parts.

Over the years the Rock Shox have deteriorated, one of the stanchions is badly corroded and consequently they don't hold much air pressure any more so i planned on replacing them.

The trouble is, the M800 headstock and the Rock Shox steerer tube don't appear to be a standard size, at least not in modern times, and to replace the fork, I would also have to change the stem and headset. Stem won't be a problem, but its replacing the bearings that have the mechanic scratching his head.

Does anyone here have any experience of replacing bearings to fix the problem? is it even possible? Are there any aftermarket parts that might do the job?

Thanks in advance, hope someone can help me out.

PS. I've seen some great photos here, really cool gear. The 800's still in the shop awaiting a solution, so I'll post a pic when I get it back. I've got another question about the Vee but I'll do that separately.

cheers

Welcome to this forum!

I think the 1994 M800 still had the unthreaded 1.25 inch steerer (the Evolution size). So just start looking for a 1 1/4" fork! They are a bit harder to find, but they are still available.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone on here is going to correct me! ;)

Take a look at this website!

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/

Cheers,
Bart

ah, I knew there'd be a simple explanation. Will start searching for a different set of forks that fits. I was thinking of getting a set of Dart 2s or 3s because they don't look too flash. I wish I'd kept hold of the original Pepperoni fork now...

In the meantime, I'm planning on swapping out just the stanchions with a set of Zoom forks. They may not be the best but they will be better than what's there at the moment until I can find something that fits.

Love the vintagecannondale site, thanks for the tip

Just have a look at eBay. They pop up very frequently!

And, by the way, use the "AuctionWatch" on this website!

Cheers,
Bart

Now that is handy, thanks

Already found a replacement 1 1/4 headset, too bad its not going to help this particular problem just yet, will keep going until i find some forks.

Is there such a beast as a 1-1/4 to 1-1/8 converter headset, or whatever the current size is? Would make life a whole lot easier.

ballondale":1ltpw9f9 said:
Is there such a beast as a 1-1/4 to 1-1/8 converter headset, or whatever the current size is? Would make life a whole lot easier.

I think there is :? Not sure where though.....

chris king do a develution reducer headset but it is not a cheap option, you can also get shims that alow the use of a 1 1/8th fork with a 1 1/4 headset but I would look for a 1 1/4 fork and save the hassle in the first instance.

It's no hassle fitting the 1 1/4to 1 1/8 reducer shims. They just press in to the head tube. You can then fit any 1 1/8 headset and forks. I have a set on my M800.

Can't recall where you buy them though. :oops:

I ran a devolution King headset on my M800 while I was looking for a 1.25 Pepperoni fork, and running a 1.125 Kona P2-II. Once I tracked down the fork, I changed out the fork race and the top cap and viola! 1.25 king headset!

Back