Help me to choose : gt tequesta 93 vs bravado 97

manon_emilie

Retro Newbie
Hi there !
After several weeks of researches to replace my 94 Kona lava dome, I’ve decided to try an other brand : gt.
I always liked the triple triangle design and it seems that I see more gt available on the second hand market (on my area).
So I just found two models on my size and not too far but I can’t tell which one would be “better”. It is a saphire blue tequesta from 93 and a black bravado from 97
My aim is to built something similar as the third picture attached to this post (credit: sumocycleworks).

For what I have read the bravado has a great reputation but was it the case for the 97 model? Back in 93, tequesta was in tange but Iam not a huge fan of the color 🤔 Could someone, with better knowledge, help me to decide ?

Attachments

• IMG_8694.jpeg
    IMG_8694.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8695.jpeg
    IMG_8695.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8698.jpeg
    IMG_8698.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 7
I am no GT expert, but the Bravado is a few models up the range from the Tequesta. I would hazard a guess the Bravado may have a better frame spec than the Tequesta. I may be wrong here in which case surely they share the same frame under the paint - aside from any changes made over the years.
I had a 91 Talera & that thing was not light by any means. Someone I knew at school had a 90' Karakoram which I thought was the dogs danglies, but that wasn't light either. So my opinion of GT steel frames isn't high due to them not being particularly competitive in terms of weight, hence my preference for the Bravado.

Bikes got lighter towards 95, then heavier again afterwards as suspension got longer and the bikes became more capable. Around 95 is a good year if you want rigid.

Whilst both bikes represent GT bikes in a good way, both the Tequesta and the Bravado are great bikes.
The Tequesta was aimed at an affordable entry point for more serious off road cycling as it featured a lighter weight frame and better parts than the Timberline (which to me was a good all round bike too but less aggressive than the Tequesta).
The Bravado is higher up in the range than the Tequesta and the one featured in the middle photo is a later model with Reynolds 653 and 4130 tubing, which is lighter still than the Tequesta, and will be a nicer ride than the lower models because in part of a lighter frame and better specced parts.
There are a few things to consider, one is the price, second the condition and last but not least how you are going to be using the bike.
I'd pick the Bravado over the Tequesta as it has better parts and a lighter frame (not a huge difference, but enough to notice). It seems like you like the Bravado's colour better already!

Back