Help me identify this Rocky Mountain steel

patrickS

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I've owned this bike (purchased from the owner at North Park Bikes in British Columbia) for a couple of years. It was painted gray before I bought it, and I'd like to know exactly what frame model it is.

The serial number is: B99091419, with WER 16 on the opposite.

Every mechanic I've talked to says its a rocky mountain, but I'd like to know the model. I guess the big give aways (besides the serial number).

Three bottle holders with star embellishments

The frame geometry (visible in photos).

Any ideas?

Attachments

• bike7.JPG
    bike7.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 2,450
  • bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,450
  • bike1.JPG
    bike1.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 2,450
seems rocky didn't use seat collars till later in the 90's. also don't see a cable stop for rear canti brakes. if it's an early frame, maybe it's a kona and the clamp on cable stop for cantis have been taken off.

I know that 2002 010319 is a 2002 Element Team Scandium, so B99 091419 doesn't look like a Rocky - that is, unless you misread the B. If by any chance it was really 1999 091419, then it could be a 1999 Rocky, model reference 09 and number 1,419.

Pretty fanciful stuff it's true, even by my low standards, but then could it be a 1999 Fusion?

Attachments

• 1999 Fusion frame size 17.5 £80 posted.jpg
    1999 Fusion frame size 17.5 £80 posted.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,373
Thanks for the replies. Amazing, the bike had a rocky decal on it when I bought it.

I didn't misread the serial number. I'd believe it could be a fusion, but I don't think the fusion has 3 water bottle mount holders. Also, the top tube on mine is quite steep.

I even phoned Rocky Mountain but they offered no help. I'll just settle and call is generic steel (also had a Reynolds decal when I got it). Still happy with the ride though :).

The top tube is steep because it's a tiny frame with long forks ;)

No idea, way to modern in the Rocky Mountain world for me is 1999.

any idea what number the Reynolds was ? Rocky did use Reynolds 520 for the Fusion/Shrerpa/... other bottom end and they used Reynolds 525 for the Hammer Race .... at least in the yr 2000 catalouge I'm looking at. Quite possibly the same for 1999.

I'd say it's a Fusion or possibly even a Hammer – the third set of bottle bosses, are they on the under side of the down tube, near the top (fork end) and slightly more spaced out than the others??? Probably a crud-catcher mount.

Cable routing looks spot-on for a Fusion or a late '90s Hammer, but the colour doesn't match anything I can find in the catalogues up to '98. Is it original paint, or a respray??

I've just had a look on bikepedia and it has these years...
No pictures and doesn't mention Reynolds for 1999, but it does for 2000 (same as the catalouge/poster)
Here is the Fusion 2000
image.aspx

Hammer Race
image.aspx

Sherpa
image.aspx

Route66
image.aspx

More than likely the Fusion/Sherpa/Route66 all shared the same frame ;)

patrickS":pxu9ldd9 said:
Thanks for the replies. Amazing, the bike had a rocky decal on it when I bought it.
I didn't misread the serial number. I'd believe it could be a fusion, but I don't think the fusion has 3 water bottle mount holders. Also, the top tube on mine is quite steep.
I even phoned Rocky Mountain but they offered no help. I'll just settle and call is generic steel (also had a Reynolds decal when I got it). Still happy with the ride though :).
It occurs to me that the different format for the serial number could relate to the fact that the Hammer Race and the Fusion were no longer made in Canada by 1999. Maybe the Taiwan-built frames had a different format. It is also possible that B99 refers to calendar 1999, and at least half of the 2000 model year frames will have been built in 1999.

Both the 2000 Hammer Race and Fusion were built with Reynolds tubing, so both of those are possible. The 1999 Hammer was made of Reynolds, but I don't think your bike is a 99 Hammer because the seat stay/seat tube join is different (see two Hammers below).

Given the Reynolds sticker, I think your bike is most likely a 2000 Fusion, or maybe a 2000 Hammer remains possible. I'm still not sure whether the seat stay junction differs slightly, albeit less than on the 99. Although RM were unhelpful before, I wonder whether they could tell you specifically what model the 09 in the serial number refers to?

Attachments

• 2000 Hammer frame size 15.jpg
    2000 Hammer frame size 15.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,319
  • 1999 Hammer frame size 17.5 rhs.jpg
    1999 Hammer frame size 17.5 rhs.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2,316
Hi,

I've owned this bike (purchased from the owner at North Park Bikes in British Columbia) for a couple of years. It was painted gray before I bought it, and I'd like to know exactly what frame model it is.

The serial number is: B99091419, with WER 16 on the opposite.

Every mechanic I've talked to says its a rocky mountain, but I'd like to know the model. I guess the big give aways (besides the serial number).

Three bottle holders with star embellishments

The frame geometry (visible in photos).

Any ideas?
I know this thread is VERY old, but i have almost the exact same bike. Do you still have yours?

Latest posts

Back