Help me identify my Claud

Will McArgo

Retro Newbie
Hi, I purchased a Claud butler, believed to be 1960s. It has been restored by previous owner. I am struggling to find which bike it is/ was. It has gb primo bars with map of Scicily engraved on them, milremo stem, weinnmen centre pull 750s,.the frame a reynolds 531 with pump lugs on the top tube, to fit an 18 inch pump.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 698
Re:

Looks like late 60's or 1970, obviously from Holdsworthy.
Most were sold as frame only, Holdsworthy would never have used Milremo products, from a main competitor.

Self build gave the user a choice of parts, and without the purchase tax.

Keith

I agree with c.1976 for frame number 70712. A couple years back, in trying to sort out the date of my own '68 Claud Butler, I looked at the numbering system for similar vintage Holdsworthy Claud Butlers .

Using internet sources I collected a dozen or more Claud Butler numbers from period '66 to '76. It would seem 'round about 1966 Claud Butler Holdsworthy factory frames were given their own new sequential numbering system beginning at ~ 50000 and progressing at a rate of ~ 2000 frames per year until sometime around 1976 when reached 70000ish. At that time, Holdsworthy moved to the new larger factory on Oakfield Road and coincident with the move appear to have lumped all Holdsworth and Claud Butlers frames together in a new 6 digit sequential numbering system all beginning with 0.

Although I have never seen this Claud Butler '66 - '76 number system described, I suspect others have observed the same. Would be interesting to read any comments,

Back