Help me choose a frickin awesome paint job for my Salsa El Mariachi !!

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Word up to the Retrobike Massif in the UK, and crews from all over the world, yo. Keep keeping it real and smashing the system, wherever you may be.

I need some inspiration for choosing an awesome, 90s-inspired paint job for my neo retro Salsa El Mariachi 29er steel frame. The bike currently looks like this. I've got a mix of blue and purple accessories, but I could live with losing the blue ones if they don't match the new paint job. The purple Onza bar ends, on the other hand, really need to stay unless I can find the same model / shape in a different colour.

20240803_145513_res.jpg

In general terms, what I'm looking for is something outlandish, brash, yet classy. I loved the 91/82 Dynatech Diablos, fluoro paint jobs, splatter paint, two colour combos that clash badly, etc. What I hate is the modern trend for all the big brands (Scott, Trek, KTM) to only offer matte black with different coloured text being the only design difference between models.

Below are some examples of paint jobs that have caught my eye over the years:

1. Salsa Jellybean. Classy and would keep the bike true to its Salsa roots, but the white paint's going to show the dirt.

1722701721495.png

2. Various splatter examples that I love:

3. Multitone with fade

1722702845673.png

Please add your own suggestions!!

Attachments

• 1722701947729.png
    1722701947729.png
    2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
There are some very nice paint jobs on show here. If I were going to repaint a bike, one scheme I've seen that screams retro, but is also super cool and timeless imho is the team Marin here:

Bitd I was desperate to repaint my RTS with turquoise main triangle and pink rear. Never got round to that, would probably have not worked, I just really liked the neon, reminded me of break dance and the socks and laces paired with high tops. The Marin scheme nails that vibe.

Wouldn't be difficult if it were mine, jelly bean. Hand painted of course. White doesn't get any dirtier than other colours.;)

Reactions: R-V
I'd go the Jelly Bean route too, but with slight modifications to the original, like larger tricolor stripes or something. It would remain iconic, but become a one and only special edition of that, giving respect to the original, but notable to expert eyes that it's a repaint... and should be hand painted, agree about that.

Latest posts

Back