Help me build this S-Works

flipwils11

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
I don't know the component model numbers and specs like you guys so I could use some help. I acquired this frame on Craigslist and would like to build it up as a bike I'll use on the trail with some nice bits here and there. Can someone help me with model numbers for either a Shimano XTR or XT, late 90's vintage, 8 speed (if it will fit), cassette with v-brakes and a fork that will work with this frame (is it 1" or 1 1/8")?

Please help, suggestions and input are appreciated!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=325859

For which? Steer tube specs?

Edit:

Looks like 1" threaded. I'm thinking fsx for the fork.

viewtopic.php?t=220982

I need to research Shimano groups to see what the later xtr/XT group sets were in the 90's. As if someone had upgraded the bike 4-5 years after purchase.

flipwils11":1vweovtm said:
For which? Steer tube specs?

Edit:

Looks like 1" threaded. I'm thinking fsx for the fork.

viewtopic.php?t=220982

I need to research Shimano groups to see what the later xtr/XT group sets were in the 90's. As if someone had upgraded the bike 4-5 years after purchase.

FSX forks were NEVER supplied as OEM always were an extra, earlier models went with Direct Drive or standard RS, later models Manitou. Head tube wise they jumped about a bit. I have a 94 that is 1-1/8th then I know due to supply issues, they went back to one inch head tubes/forks 95/96 on the steel stumpjumpers.
Spec wise, the choice was left to the buyer, but a lot of shops chose specs, based on pricepoints, in order to have bikes in stock to view and sell.
Some were lower end groups, others Top end XTR M900 etc. As M950 wouldn't have been released by now, the top spec would be M900 and Cantilever brakes not V brakes (hence Canti noodle around the seat tube)
This was sold as F&F only and the tubing would have been Tange Prestige Triple butted, same with the forks. Effectively this means the the length of thicker tubing at the ends, to facilitate welds would have been much shorter, hence the low weights and lovely flexy/whippy nature of the ride.
They also had a lot of their own in house S-Works kit, like bars, saddles, Chainsets, Bottom Brackets, Seatposts and Stems, these take some finding and always go for big money, although you are better Geographically placed to find S-Works kit.
They bought their own spec' Hugi hubs from DT for a while.
PM me if you want as over the years I've done a lot of research on S-Works and they certainly jumped around a lot with specs.
There were several models of FSX forks, early ones based on Mag 21 internals, bot Magnesium and Carbon sliders, later ones were same as Judy SL internals.
They lost money on every Carbon FSX they sold, as it cost Spesh', $200 for just the carbon lowers on each fork.
Personally I would look for a Direct drive fork, S works Ti stem, Ritchey or S-Works Tahoma seat post WTB build, perforated Prolong Ti railed saddle, M 900 brakes and drivetrain (although shifter spec was Gripshift SRT 500 8 speed and Dia Compe PC 7/8 brake levers for a while.
They also used a 12-25 Cassettes and Ultegra 600 short cage rear mech on the race bikes to save weight and suit the pro riders they employed, on the team bikes.
I built my 94 up to the original race bike spec and it weighs just sub 20 pounds in 15.5 size. Finding original Ground Control or Umma Gumma tyres in good nick is tricky though, so I used modern Ground Controls, so save more weight and add to the rideability. :cool:

Fantastic, thanks so much. I get confused with all the short cage long cage terminology and the front derailers have a lot of different options it seems as well.

I'll be sending you some messages, hope I'm not a pest!

Edit: 1 1/8th steer tube

Back