Help identifying Colnago Master

scociu

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

can you help me identifying the below Master? It popped up on local "ebay" and i can't find what model it is and if it's a genuine one.
Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Alex.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 389
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 388
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 388
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 388
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 388
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 388
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 389
It looks genuine, has the right tube profiles, which is reasonably unique. I'd hazard a guess it's been refurbished. Some anomalies - "Master" model points to a gen 1 bike, (Master as opposed to Master Olympic / piu / Light / Xtralite etc). BUT gen 1 Master has external brake cable routing and 1 set bosses. BUT This has Precisa forks which came later on the piu. Doesn't really matter, it's a cracking bike and the age won't change the price hugely. Nor will it change the ride quality. Groupset (looks like C-Record) places it in the Master / Piu / Olympic period (pre-1990s) but again, the brakes are non-std for the groupset (Monoplanar only went up to Chorus), but they also place it in the late 80s - early 90s. But again could be retrofitted. (My 1995 Super Piu wears 9-SPd Record with Delta brakes, and has had forks swapped to Precisa when refurbished in 2012). Current second price? Vary wildly, £900 ish through £2.5k for a full bike) (There is a limited edition Adidas special on eBay currently for £10k...)

I had a Master Xtralite, which I regretfully sold. Was an eBay buy, not quite big enough, and after 10 years of faffing around with fit, I gave up and sold it on. Instantly regretted it... I will buy another when I can. This article has some details on models etc: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=194092

Thank you very much for your insight. It helps a beginner like me getting up to speed to what's what.

One more question if i might. To you or other knowledgeable folks on this forum:
Below i am adding photos of a Tecnos. This is the second bike i am considering as my first purchase. I will go at the end of the week to check out both.
Does the Tecnos look in good shape to you? Which one you think would be better value? Master is 2k EUR, Tecnos is 1.3k EUR.

Much appreciated!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 347
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 347
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 347
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 347
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 347
Re:

To me, the biggest question is regarding size. One looks huge, one looks on the big (but not huge) size. If you're definitely buying one, buy the one that's going to fit you...... Assuming you will ride it rather than show it

Ah, yes, the size. Sorry for not mentioning this: the master is 59 cm TT / 59 cm ST while t he Tecnos is 57 cm TT / 58 cm ST. So pretty close.
I am 1.83 with rather long legs (87cm inner thigh). I will definitely do a fit check with both before deciding.

Re:

IIRC there was a weight limit on the Tecnos due to the thinness of the tubeset? At 1.83m that is definitely something to be aware of if it's a thing, and not my old brain having a fart again...

Just did a quick Google. Designed for Riders under 160lbs (72kg). Probably more rare than a Master. It probably won't break if you're heavier, but in a big size it might get whippy?

It's not an Adidas unless it's nicked. It's missing the Adidas branding and modern equipment the 150 bikes came with. The going rate for an Adidas limited edition is in the £8-10k range...

BigFoz":3s0xtia3 said:
It's not an Adidas unless it's nicked. It's missing the Adidas branding and modern equipment the 150 bikes came with. The going rate for an Adidas limited edition is in the £8-10k range...

Look closely as the adidas logo is on the seat tube & the size logo is at the back on the seat tube but what throws it off is no arabesque chrome lugs... it could be a fake adidas?
Frameset is 3 grand & bike 6.5 grand with Campag super Record 12speed from Sigma sport

Back