Help Identifying a Claud Butler

harryfarry

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I recently acquired my dad’s old claud butler. I know it’s not the oldest but was wondered roughly what age it would be and a possible model?

would of been brought in the 90’s/early 2000’s

needs a lot of work but was going to start it as a project, try return it to standard spec

Attachments

• IMG_2005.jpeg
    IMG_2005.jpeg
    972.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1996.jpeg
    IMG_1996.jpeg
    576.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2009.jpeg
    IMG_2009.jpeg
    934.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2008.jpeg
    IMG_2008.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2007.jpeg
    IMG_2007.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2006.jpeg
    IMG_2006.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 42
I'm not sure of the exact timeline, but I believe the Claud Butler name has been used on various Argos-level bikes for some time. It might be tricky to find a year/model as this won't be something that will be in a brand catalog etc.

Try scrubbing the rust on the chrome fork with aluminum foil & water, works surprisingly well.

This might not fit with your plans but that raw aluminum frame would polish up really nicely. If it were me I'd be tempted to sand it back and polish it and just lose the decals on the frame entirely. Not sure if that approach will be embraced my this forum but it would improve the look of the bike, and this era of Claud Butler bikes isn't especially prestigious as far as I know.

Good luck with it and enjoy the journey, it's a great first project and nice that there's a family connection there too.

@Peachy! would be the man to ask when it comes to all things CB, if he completely contradicts everything I've said I'd listen! :)

Edit:
Yeah I might be backtracking a bit 😅 the decals seem to match this style on this 1993 frame (found here):

img023.jpg

Last edited:
Hello @harryfarry as has been mentioned earlier this is a bit of an odd one. That Head badge graphic was only around 93 & 94 (and early 95) but the frame details suggest later.
With it having steel forks and lower end kit it’s definitely not an Antaeus.
During this period CB did shift a lot of stuff via catalogues and these bikes didn’t make it into the official Sales Catalogues so it’s almost impossible to name them. As for dating, your best bet is to look at the two letter Shimano date codes (easiest to find are normally on the back of the crank arms)
Have fun getting it all clean & tidy (and of course riding it)

Thank you all for your replies, it’s been really helpful :)

such a shame my dad can’t remember where or when he brought it

any tips on how to get the frame back to raw aluminium? looks like the clear coat has some corrosion under it and it’s all gone dull, doesn’t seem to want to polish up

If it were me (and again google/YouTube might be your friend here before you take my word for it...)

Sandpaper & elbow grease, starting off at maybe 200 grit, then 400, then 600, then wet sand with 800, 1000, 2000 grit.

Machine polish (I use a cheap set of polishing wheels I got on Amazon with my drill) red compound then green (use a different wheel for each).

Mothers or Autosol polish either by hand or with the same machine polishing.

I've never added clearcoat myself as I've always been doing smaller pieces but might be worth looking into for a frame. not sure if that last polishing stage might interfere and it'd need a clean down with Iso alcohol or something before clear coat?

@Silverfish has posted some great restoration threads but I can't recall how much detail he goes into.

However you do it it'll be a big project, and you'll create a fair bit of aluminum dust so might not be appreciated if you use the kitchen table!

Oh, and if it were me I'd want to take everything off the frame first (cranks, bars, maybe even headset & BB) and clamp it on a work stand by the seatpost... you don't want to be sanding around the chain/chainrings.

Good luck!

Last edited:
All done 👍🏽

used all the original parts.

Sanded down using wet and dry, from 360 to 3000 (never again 😂)

Happy with how it’s turned out

Attachments

• IMG_2156.jpeg
    IMG_2156.jpeg
    754.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2173.jpeg
    IMG_2173.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    519.2 KB · Views: 2
Back