B1NG0

Retro Newbie
Hey everyone!

I recently inherited a bike from my father, but I can’t seem to be able to pinpoint what the model is. He told me it’s from 1990 exactly, although I am not sure how much that is accurate.
It appears the brand name is “Califórnia Cycles”(the logo is an inverted triangle painted from left to right green, yellow and pink). The paintjob is yellow at the front fading into blue and fading into white at the very back and chainstays. The top tube has a red “MOUNTAIN SPORT” decal, the downtube has a “CALIFÓRNIA” decal with a star beside it, and the fork and seat tube just say “MOUNTAIN”. It also has a Shimano DUAL SIS drivetrain. The frame shape is pretty weird, as the top tube has a slight dip in it, as in the tube is bent, the seat stays don’t cross the seat tube so I guess it is the a triple triangle frame. The saddle is yellow and the brand seems to be “bassano selle”. I don’t know if it is relevant but it came with cantilever brakes too. It might useful to know he bought in Portugal.

I know the Internet is a magic place when it comes to finding things, so I hope it does it’s magic here too!

Bingo

Nice description, just it would be still very helpful to post pictures.
I would love to see the "weird" design too.

Nice description, just it would be still very helpful to post pictures.
I would love to see the "weird" design too.

Attachments

• IMG_20240604_190123_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20240604_190123_Original.jpeg
    771.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240604_190053_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20240604_190053_Original.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 24
Sorry to disappoint you, that's a supermarket bottom-end bike, with a projection welded frame. It's OK for transport.

Sorry to disappoint you, that's a supermarket bottom-end bike, with a projection welded frame. It's OK for transport.
even though its cheap supermarket bike its got a very nice colour scheme/paint job.

would still make a nice retro build as it would be more unsual than the run of the mill/common retro bikes out there.

Hey! I’m not disappointed in what it is as it has had a very good life and has been a very worthy steed for my father’s and my own shenanigans. This summer I will renovate it all, still thinking about what to do with the paintjob as it is very badly degraded pretty much everywhere. I’m going to make it a gravel bike with a drop bar and maybe invest in a real suspension MTB in the future.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Back