Help? Dawes Kingpin

burrotaxi

Dirt Disciple
Having concentrated my efforts on various vintage road bikes (2 x Argos, 1 x Gazelle, 1 x Rourke)I fancy a new project and recently
acquired an old Dawes Kingpin.
In comparison with my Brompton, despite its age and condition I must say it rides very well and I now have a desire to update it.
As you have proved time and time again pretty much all of you have greater mechanical/technical knowledge than I do so to save
time and money I'd welcome some advice and also give you the opportunity to spend someone elses money rather than your own!
So the plan is to lighten it up by getting rid off the chromed steel. I'm tempted to keep the Sturmey Archer 3 speed
but replace the crusty rims with some 451 rims and stainless spokes, I could be tempted to go single speed or at a push derailleur but
I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible.
The list is therefore:-
2 x new alloy 451 rims (what is recommended, any good sources, could be tempted by complete wheelset)
Will keep the existing Weinmann brakes that should work with above, do I keep front hub?
Replacement alloy headset (anyone got an old Shimano in good condition?)
New stem and handlebars (a few on ebay, any suggestions)
New cartridge bottom bracket
Replacement alloy chainset
New alloy seat post (any suggestions)
Already have a replacement saddle

Thats it I think, I did find a post some time ago about a similar project with some usefull sources/advice but I can't find that now
so would really appreciate learning from your experience, expertise and superior knowledge.

I think these have 20" wheels don't they? If so, you've got the choice of BMX and child's MTB for alloy rims, plus there must be plenty of chrome rims out there for a more traditional build. I'd be inclined to stick with the Sturmey and build it into a new rim if the old ones are a bit crusty - they work really well when they are well oiled and adjusted.

Hi burrotaxi,
I've got two kingpins at the moment and think they're really great fun. Hoping to turn one, the non-folding version (the KP500) into a practical city bike, trying to keep the bike as simple as possible. One of the things i've decided on is the 451 wheels, so I'll be following this thread closely :D

I'm also thinking of using a Sturmey Archer S2 Duomatic Hub - which has two gears AND a brake, without the need for either a rear brake or gear cables.
http://practicalcycles.com/products/245 ... c-hub.aspx

hoping to get some more inspiration from the replies to this thread.
But the hardest decision is going to be what colour to powder coat the thing. Hi gloss white is top of the list at the moment but...

Latest posts

Back