helmets?

I've cycled for over 40 years, helmetless, without incident.

I cycle with great care only on quiet country roads with little traffic.

The probability of me having an accident that would result in a head injury is infinitessimally small.

Also , I much prefer the feeling of cycling without wearing a helmet, it's sweaty and a bit inconvenient to use a helmet.

However, the way I see it is that I would be acting irresponsibly towards my family I ever cycled without wearing one, so in recent times I have always worn one when cycling.

I do think about it, as I'm hurtling down a single track road past blind entrances to fields, "What if a tractor pulled out now?". If one did, at least I've taken steps to avoid having my skull cracked like an egg.

So to put it another way, I endure the terrible hardship of a sweaty forehead and the huge inconvenience of carrying a 200g piece of plastic with me, for the sake of my family.

I just hope all those unhelmeted people in the "it'll never happen to me" camp turn out to be right.

It's like any insurance, it's up to each person to decide whether or not to take it out, but I would say some insurance policies are "no brainers". And, let's face it, pretty cheap.

just to update

I went and got one, mainly becuase I want my kids to wear one.

I also remember falling twice in my life, both times hard on my head and somehow was ok.

However, getting hurt when you are older hurts and therefore will wear it.

I am pretty sure that I will take a few sneaky rides without one once in a while

sam

Back