Hello from a newbie

Wingsonmyheels

Retro Newbie
Hi folks
Just joined the forum as I figured it might be a useful resource for my newest (oldest) bike.

A wee bit about myself, grew up cycling, still own the two bikes I raced on as a teenager, supplemented more recently with a 753 Gazelle (always liked the look of gazelles when I say them in the bunch, and always wanted a 753 of some kind!), and a C21st steel with 11sp Centaur/Potenza.

Then my wife pointed out an old holdsworth frame being sold locally, I went to see it and bingo, bought it. No photos yet but I’ll figure that out, however from Norman Kilgariff’s site it looks to be a ‘49 Cyclone deluxe, with Osgear ends, and the right size for me… happy days!

Anyway, I’m retired, still riding occasionally but my wife’s health and prognosis means that’s curtailed, although messing about in the bike shed is still on the cards.

My other bikes are a Dawes Jaguar (81?) upgraded with 531 forks(I don’t think they were initially but I rode into the back of a car-seemed like a good opportunity…). All that is original is the bars and stem, even the frame has been replaced after breaking a dropout in ‘86/7. Then I’ve a Holdsworth Competition frame, ‘83, no longer built up. The Gazelle, built up mainly with campag, and finally ventured into the 21st century with a Planet X Holdsworth Competition, built up all Italian.

Hope this is a good forum, I do like a good forum - on a couple of others for other interests. Cheers all, back with photos later

Hi folks
Just joined the forum as I figured it might be a useful resource for my newest (oldest) bike.

A wee bit about myself, grew up cycling, still own the two bikes I raced on as a teenager, supplemented more recently with a 753 Gazelle (always liked the look of gazelles when I say them in the bunch, and always wanted a 753 of some kind!), and a C21st steel with 11sp Centaur/Potenza.

Then my wife pointed out an old holdsworth frame being sold locally, I went to see it and bingo, bought it. No photos yet but I’ll figure that out, however from Norman Kilgariff’s site it looks to be a ‘49 Cyclone deluxe, with Osgear ends, and the right size for me… happy days!

Anyway, I’m retired, still riding occasionally but my wife’s health and prognosis means that’s curtailed, although messing about in the bike shed is still on the cards.

My other bikes are a Dawes Jaguar (81?) upgraded with 531 forks(I don’t think they were initially but I rode into the back of a car-seemed like a good opportunity…). All that is original is the bars and stem, even the frame has been replaced after breaking a dropout in ‘86/7. Then I’ve a Holdsworth Competition frame, ‘83, no longer built up. The Gazelle, built up mainly with campag, and finally ventured into the 21st century with a Planet X Holdsworth Competition, built up all Italian.

Hope this is a good forum, I do like a good forum - on a couple of others for other interests. Cheers all, back with photos later
Rest assured, it's a great forum -- such a massive accumulation of knowledge and experience -- and very friendly too! Welcome.

Welcome, it's good to have a proper old-school roadman on here. Lovely bikes.

There's loads of experienced and knowledgeable people on here who know the most obscure, most minor detail about the most obscure and minor bike part, although it seems as if you will be adding to their numbers as you know your stuff.

That looks like a decent workshop, complete with sustenance.

Kevin.

Welcome to the forum. It would be worth starting a separate build thread for your Holdsworth in the Readers Retro Road Bikes section - sometimes builds/bikes can get a bit lost if they are in this more general section. I'm sure lots of people would be interested in seeing how the build goes.

When it comes to the much more modern Holdsworth you have, I remember seeing one of those Planet X Holdsworth Competition bikes in their showroom when they came out – it looked fantastic. How do you find yours rides?

Back