Hei Hei alu seatpost shims

It's a shame Kona thought that bonding in a soft alu shim that'd wear significantly quicker than the everlasting frame was a good idea. At least I now put myself on a par with McGuyver after figuring out it's removal :LOL: I'll get a picture up of the finished bike (if I ever finish it)

But then is a retrobike ever actually finished - different thread, I guess :) )

John":2qeip9mq said:
Have a similar issue on both litespeeds frames I own - a 97 and 06. Both have the alloy seatpost shims and on both the shims have worn. Assume the shims are intended to be sacrificial in as much as they prevent damage to the ti frame itself (although if replacements aren't available). Seem to also recall the alu shims preventing certain corrosion issues although I don't 100% recall.

Tallpaul's idea of reaming to 27.2 is a very good one. The posts on mine are 27.2 and 31.6. In both cases I ended up shimming with coke cans. Not a 'nice' fix but effective and not visible.

Best trick I've found is to wrap the post in thin clear packing tape. Apply it like applying bar tape to road bars and insert in the frame - rotate the post in the direction of the tape "thread". If you get a nice tight fit it works amazingly well (I've run a frame since 99 like this due a stupid sized unavailable post shimming 0.4mm to a common size).

Try it before attacking a frame to replace a shim.

24pouces":j03blr0m said:
In the seat tube, there were shims. First thing, for cleaning the frame, removing the old shims and to change them for new ones.

But impossible to remove them : they are made in titanium, like the frame , and they are welded in it somewhere.

My Airborne has a Ti shim - It appears to have been fitted into the seat tube and continuously fused (rather than adding filler rod) around its top edge and down the compression slot.

It’s a very neat job - so much so that I thought at first that the tube was heavily butted / very thick walled at the top and the builder had radiused all the edges :cool:

WD :D

The day I bought my HeiHei, it was a USe ti seatpost.
The problem really came when I remove it, and the hope collar. I wanted a 27.2 seatpost has original.

I found 3 solutions :
1) shims made with soda can, and with loctite glue,
2) the DogCollar tighten too the seat tube.
3) I use a 27.2 ti seatpost, not a USE with its specific shim. Too many shims is bad.

I made the OWMTBC10 without problem ;-)

Thanks for that, 24P and WD, it's always good to know some tricks, and what manufacturers have done. I'll be checking out some shims in the near future. :)

Back