Headset rubber ring question

InfiniteView

Retro Newbie
Hi. Long time listener, first time caller.

I've built a touring bike out of a mid-90s Fuji MTB. It has a threaded headset.

I removed the fork and replaced the bearing cages. But under the lower one, just before the bearing cage race, there was a shredded rubber ring.

I put it back together without the ring and it rides fine, but there's a small gap between the bottom of the head tube and the fork (where this ring used to be) and I'm concerned about moisture or dust getting in. I want to replace that ring, but don't know what it's called. I've seen the names "threaded headset seal" and "threaded headset o-ring". Can anyone help me out with the correct name for this in the UK?

Also, it is possible to buy them separately or do I need to buy a whole headset? The bearings set that I bought came without it, and the guy at Halfords just stared at me blankly when I tried to explain what I wanted.

Thanks for any comments.

This might sound bizarre, but go down to B&Q and you will find multipacks of O-Rings in their plumbing section. It's what I use.

Secondly, you could try mudguards...my tourer has run the same (Tioga Master) headset for 17 years and tens of thousand miles because the lower race is spared the spray of muck by the mudguard.

The third trick is to fit an inch of inner tube over the steerer below the headset crown race before re-assembly. Fit it over the bottom of the head tube and over the lower stack afterwards, and fill it with grease. Headsets last for ever like this, and it's great for winter mtbs. Let me know if you want a picture of this.

hamster":aicsz89n said:
This might sound bizarre, but go down to B&Q and you will find multipacks of O-Rings in their plumbing section. It's what I use.

Secondly, you could try mudguards...my tourer has run the same (Tioga Master) headset for 17 years and tens of thousand miles because the lower race is spared the spray of muck by the mudguard.

The third trick is to fit an inch of inner tube over the steerer below the headset crown race before re-assembly. Fit it over the bottom of the head tube and over the lower stack afterwards, and fill it with grease. Headsets last for ever like this, and it's great for winter mtbs. Let me know if you want a picture of this.

mighty fine advice ham

Back