Headset help

stokepa31

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi All

I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle with my marin restoration. it originally had a ritchey logic headset that like a prat i thru away!!!!

got myself an stx from ebay and a cheapo modus too. after fitting the cups (i have a press) and slotting it all together, there is no thread left showing to get the top cap on with either. grrrrrrr

can anyone advise on a way forward. happy to take measurements of everything if that helps.

Failing that does anyone have a ritchey logic to fit a 92 muirwoods they would like to sell me??

edt steerer tube is 150mm / steerer is 180mm and threaded bit is 32-33mm (thread fades out a bit after 32mm)

The only way around this is to get a ball bearing headset like XT, Tioga or the original Ritchey. The newer cartridge bearing types have a larger stack height.

The other solution is to get a longer steerer which'll probably be a lot more expensive.

i have just been looking recently on ebay for a threaded headset and there are a few ritchey logics on ebay at the minute

stokepa31":30dscbvy said:
managed to find a tioga on uk ebay so will give it a go. seeems to have 'proper bearings'
you don't need a headset with "proper bearings" you need a headset with the proper stackeheight. wouldn't buy anything until you know the exact stackheight. threaded ritchey headsets are amongst the lowest stackheight headsets so go for one of those!

Inigo Montoya":357rpdwr said:
stokepa31":357rpdwr said:
managed to find a tioga on uk ebay so will give it a go. seeems to have 'proper bearings'
you don't need a headset with "proper bearings" you need a headset with the proper stackeheight. wouldn't buy anything until you know the exact stackheight. threaded ritchey headsets are amongst the lowest stackheight headsets so go for one of those!

probably another £10 up in smoke then unless I get lucky :cry: . My day off work is not going to plan. had hoped to get the Marin all done today and the first bloody bit i pick up lets me down (or rather my knowledge does).

I had (I think) a similar problem a few weeks ago.

I had the LBS do some work for me on my 93 Team Marin.
The headset had cracked so decided to fit a Chris King in white (looks good)

However the low height of the Ritchey Logic headset meant that the steerer tube ended up way too short - I have a pair of RC31 AB forks.

Couldn't find another headset of such a low height, Pace don't do the steerer tube anymore so the LBS had some steerer tubes made. Got some tubes and the OK from Pace and the local engineering chappie did the rest.

Apparently, according to Pace, there are no such tubes anywhere else in the country (I can get the details if anyone needs to know) so John Atkins in Leamington would be the place to go if you have a similar issue.

dave

I've got an old logic headset if you are interested, it may need new bearings and doesn't have a top (tensioner) part if i remember right. PM if interested.

Rambo":3vrpm2go said:
Apparently, according to Pace, there are no such tubes anywhere else in the country (I can get the details if anyone needs to know) so John Atkins in Leamington would be the place to go if you have a similar issue.

Justbackdated on here is the Pace man. ;)

Back