Has anyone dropped acid......

You're a brave man, I'd not play with any acid stuff on an entire bike frame. But what's the worst that can happen? You'll just have a lighter bike! ;)
Yes it's not going to be a case of a big fuming cauldron and dunk it in ....there'll be a certain amount of diligence .....stopwatch and a beer 🤣

So I'm not actually using anything too vicious ....i'm crazy but not quite full on dumb....I think!
IMG_20220527_120807_427.jpg

20 mins stewing and we'll have a look!
That's a piece of dead Kona kahuna. For the morbidly intrigued! 7000 grade I believe!

So I'm not actually using anything too vicious ....i'm crazy but not quite full on dumb....I think!
View attachment 630716

20 mins stewing and we'll have a look!
That's a piece of dead Kona kahuna. For the morbidly intrigued! 7000 grade I believe!
Ideal product for those of us that don't believe in welds that instead have mortared the tubes together. Finally get rid of those pesky stains.

Well that's 20 minutes ...

Not much has happened a little dulling can just feel a slight roughness with finger nail....I presume 7000 series being more dense it resists for longer....let's give it another 20!

Well that's 20 minutes ...

Not much has happened a little dulling can just feel a slight roughness with finger nail....I presume 7000 series being more dense it resists for longer....let's give it another 20!
If it leaves a roughness, will you then be sanding it after getting the desired effect, or do you want it to be a bit coarse as well as the dulling of the material?

If it leaves a roughness, will you then be sanding it after getting the desired effect, or do you want it to be a bit course as well as the dulling of the material?
Well I was quite taken with first experiment a bit of masking on a polished surface before the acid...gives a slight texture if not left too long and where it's masked you can generate that flake look of galvanising.
I lacquered the first bit and it hasn't lost any of the detail...it's certainly got something I'm really liking! However it's a fair bit of work 🙄 but heck why not! I reckon I can get it done in a weekend👍

Back