Haro Extreme Comp 1991 build

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I can barely contain my excitement! (My wife, however, is nonplussed at the prospect of another bike in the house.) I've wanted a e-stay bike with U-brake for some time now, and finally I have an Haro Extreme Comp 1991 frame on its way in the post. This thread is for its build. This will be my first retro build, from scratch, and my 3rd retro bike. I have a few bits ready and waiting, nothing to write home about however. I expect I'll need to take advice from the rest of you when choosing some of the components.

Here is a photo of my frame, as captured by its previous owner, thnos.
http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/thn31 ... b.jpg.html

I should get some of my own pics up soon, when I have my hands on the frame :)

Because this is a black frame, I'm thinking of going with a bright fluorescent colour for the front fork (p2 if possible) and stem (probably pink), with silver Deore DX parts for the most part, and purple anodized bits. If anyone has any parts they think might be interesting, feel free to PM me or post here (particularly a silver, DX if possible, U brake).

List of components already assembled for this build:

Deore LX hub in black (pre-parallax) with Ti axle installed
Purple anodized front QR, Ti
Purple X-Lite bar ends
Deore 7 speed thumbshifters
Diacompe SS5 levers, black

For reference, some measurements of the frame:

27.0 seat tube
90 mm headtube
1 1/8" headtube diameter
21.5 inch seat tube length
front mech clamp diameter to be confirmed on arrival

My first quandaries are these:

* threaded or unthreaded fork/headset/stem combo? My two other retrobikes use unthreaded 1 1/8" forks, so having some interchangeability would be a plus. Instinctively I'd go for a large steerer tube protrusion (with ano spacers) to get a higher stem position. On the other hand, threaded would allow a higher stem to negate that very short head tube, although it would be a shame to need to cut and thread a fork that would then become probably unusable for any other large frame I might buy in future.

* what fork length would be suitable for a frame of this vintage? I'm guessing the geometry wouldn't accept a suspension fork very comfortably.

ultrazenith":27htyl2e said:
Thanks bro :) You'll be pleased to know that your Haro project helped me to decide on buying this frame.

Thats good to hear :)

......You must be a pretty tall fella, that frame looks BIG :shock:

These frames are unusually low at the front. Steerer tube is 1" youd be better off with a threaded hs and fork i reckon so you can rise the stem easilly without it looking silly packed up with a load of spacers

Sean

Hi, newby here. Yesterday I picked up a Haro Extreme locally for a very reasonable price. It looks to be totally original and is ride-able but needs tires. I'd like to know what year it is and have several other questions but must use wifi at Starbucks and forgot to write down the bike number. Thanks

lov2wheels":rmjrfyb0 said:
Hi, newby here. Yesterday I picked up a Haro Extreme locally for a very reasonable price. It looks to be totally original and is ride-able but needs tires. I'd like to know what year it is and have several other questions but must use wifi at Starbucks and forgot to write down the bike number. Thanks

Its pretty easy to work out the year from the serial number

[/url]http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/9255451/ H90 05 (may 1990)

SEANSTEPHENS":29g31ay5 said:
ultrazenith":29g31ay5 said:
Thanks bro :) You'll be pleased to know that your Haro project helped me to decide on buying this frame.

Thats good to hear :)

......You must be a pretty tall fella, that frame looks BIG :shock:

These frames are unusually low at the front. Steerer tube is 1" youd be better off with a threaded hs and fork i reckon so you can rise the stem easilly without it looking silly packed up with a load of spacers

Sean

I'm 6' 3" and ~21" frames seem to be about right, and 19" a bit too small (and needing very long seat posts).

Got the numbers yest. H8807 looks like we're talking about July 88. It's a pretty wierd color combo being teal?, pearlescent, and dark grey metalic.
Running short on time now but will be back w/ more questions. Thanks for the info. cheers jim

Nice frame!
I like them veru much, but unf still cannot find any in my size and reasonable price....
Watching Your build with interest

Visiting my local bike shop here in Portugal with the Haro frame, to get some measurements done and the removal of the stuck bottom bracket, the mechanic came from out back to talk to me about my frame. He really wanted one in the early 90s when he was just starting in the MTB scene, but never before saw one in real life.

Back