Hard ride, ouch.

TimmyMTB

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Maybe its just me but does anyone else find their ride somewhat painfully solid?

I used to have a 2001 Trek full sus which got nicked and bought a Muddy fox for my first ever retro build. I stuck some slicks on to use it for work and holy crap my ass and arms hurt from the non to smooth ride. I assume this is down to no suspension and was expecting it but never thought it would be so rough.

I want to soften it up but dont want to add too much weight, I am doing the TORQ in your sleep race and right now I am not looking forward to it on this bike! Please can I have you thoughts and ideas to make this ride more comfortable.

Slicks pumped up hard have no give in them so they always feel a bit solid; when you get your bike off road put some nice fat tyres on and run at in the mid 40 psi. It'll feel a bit better then. :)

Other thing is - stay loose; don't grip the bars too hard and that'll help a bit as well.

It just takes some getting used to. If you go from full suss to rigid it is quite a change, and you have less room for error, so all thouse bad lines you can get away with now hurt :LOL:

Could always whack some front forks on?

I would avoid suspension seatposts as I think they work terribly for little benefit, although have not tried a flex stem they dont appeal (to me) either.

As others have mentioned, fat tires run softish.
Stay loose, let your knees and elbows take out the bumps.
You also get used to it. A bit like martial artists 'conditioning' their bodies by smacking themselves against trees and what not, you get better at taking the punishment the more you ride.

Flexstems are not really worth it IMO, not are suspension seatposts.
A USE Titanium seatpost would work well, as does a good ti railed saddle, like a Flite. Big fat grips, or quality foam grips also help, matched to good gloves.

But mainly you just gotta 'man up' :D

on the contrary i think flex stems are great for taking the edge off.

i have been a hater most of my life but my proflex has one and i love it

I must point out at this stage that whilst big fat gel saddles flexstems and sus posts are useful to some I prefer it as uncomfortable as possible for the true Retro experience :D
I run Flite saddles on use posts with rigid forks every time :shock:
slick tyres no wider than 25mm and running 110psi
offroad 1.9`s at 40 psi
I am on the lookout for a Flexstem ATM purely for it coolness :)
As mentioned previously let some air out of your tyres loosen up and enjoy

flex stems are great for cutting down on the buzz you get thru the bars
get some bigger volume tyres as everyone says

and toughen up :LOL:

Back