hand made decals?

Get some Waterslide Transfer paper and print your own with your inkjet. You can get the paper off ebay. I made some guitar transfers about 4 years ago and they worked really well. However I did have access to a full colour digital printer as I work in the print industry. I have had success with inkjet though but it isn't as sharp and is only going to last a short while (a year or two) unless you are using top quality inks i.e no compatibles!
The paper I got was specifically for Laser printers though and I would say if you can find some to get that and take it to a quick print shop and get them to print them off for you.
Twenty sheets for inkjet is under a tenner though so not a lot to lose if it doesn't work and if it does you can go into production!

ian.

decals

Thanks guys; someone here did send me a link year or so ago and I lost the contact, I just picked up an Olagnero frame with mint decals ( they usually crumble and flake, especially if you clean the bike with a degreasant...) so I want to photo them and have a backup set made...

Is it wise to clear-coat laquer with Humbrol enamel over them the prevent deterioration?

Re: decals

bikenut2010":x2dbqjga said:
Is it wise to clear-coat laquer with Humbrol enamel over them the prevent deterioration?
If you make them on waterslide paper they have to be laquered over once they have been printed. It kind of makes a sandwich between the coating on the paper and the laquer with the image inbetween. Soak it in water and ithe whole lot slides off. I was laquering my guitar anyway so then the transfers got another laquer on top so they are well sealed. Have been on four or five years now with no problem at all. Not sure how durable they would be on a bike without a top coat but should be okay and if not you can just make some new ones!

You may be able to get the paper in model shops. It gets used for transfers for scalextric cars, model railways, Airfix kits etc.

Ian.

Try Googling 'waterslide transfer film'. There's a company that sells it - but I can't find my link!

It must be lacquered after printing or all your hard work will dissolve.

ive got a couple of sheets of waterslide paper for laser printers if any one needs a sheet

we bought it for a project that just never took off.

its manufactured by "The Magic Touch" and is clear

Inkjet is not good. You need laser compatible paper to go through a laser printer. These are fixed using a fuser/heat. The carrier base needs to be opaque white, the only problem with this is it needs to be cut around. It OK for simple cut outs, more problematic with complex tapes and letter forms.The clear carrier base is OK if the decal is being applied to a light coloured base.

I have produced many decals for steam engine manufacturers this way. Only when you get into bigger print runs does the proper opaque printing process become viable. By way of information most, if not all ink jets found in the home will have water -based ink which is utterly useless for the cycle frame - even with over varnishing, they will fade too.

Back