Gumwall/ Skinwall tyres

I´ve got a pair of new Panaracer Timbuk II re-issue from Mombat for christmas. What can i say - they´re perfect even the logos are small like back in the "golden days". The logos do have a different colour than the "original" ones, but from a manufacturer´s and consumer´s point of view i can totally understand the difference in logos. Makes it easy to distinguish between new and old "NOS" ones for persons who are not THAT experienced.

Comp III new and folding and lite

http://www.porkchopbmx.com/26_c12.htm

These tires are a true SKINWALL tire. What is a skinwall versus a gumwall tire? To save weight, skinwall tires have just enough rubber in the sidewall to cover the nylon casing. Gumwall tires have a heavy, thick coating of rubber that completely covers the casing. This is why on a true skinwall you see the "threads" of the casing. What is great about these tires is the "natural" (tan) skinwall is the correct vintage color. Some newer skinwall tires have such a light, blonde coloration that they really stand out as being historically incorrect - but not these - as the pictures show (taken in natural light), these are just like the originals from back in the day.

These tires are made from the original molds from the 1980's - since these tires haven't been made since then, Hwa Fong never updated the molds with the "Duro" name - so these tires are 100% original to the 1980's - but brand new production. These were custom manufactured for Porkchop BMX.

Hwa Fong tires came stock on many quality "bike shop" BMX bicycles from the 1980's. Sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's they began marketing their tires under the "Duro" brand name. These tires were made from the original molds that were never updated with the Duro name. In addition, these tires are stored in a climate controlled (both temperature and humidity) environment with no sunlight. Therefore, you are guaranteed a soft, supple tire that is mint condition if you want to show, or safe if you want to ride. Hwa Fong has been producing quality tires for many applications, both motorized and non-motorized for decades.

Cheers

Splash backs are pretty fun, bit drifty, but I kind of like that. Not tried in slop, but good in loamy loose stuff.

MikeD":3af21i8h said:
There's these:

tyha-cmf-fold-pr.jpg

but only in 2.35in, so you'll need decent clearance.

I bought a set of these for my RC300 to help save my IRC El-Gato's and although they are quoted as being 2.35" the actual width when fitted is more like 2.2" ;)

7901645298_071cb6072c_c.jpg

These are my Splashbacks. Ignore the building site back yard, it's better now :oops:

Attachments

• 2007 Clockwork. 001.jpg
    2007 Clockwork. 001.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 993
1210tech":iwlktvcu said:
I bought a set of these for my RC300 to help save my IRC El-Gato's and although they are quoted as being 2.35" the actual width when fitted is more like 2.2" ;)

This is true. They're quite tall, though, and even 2.2in is too much for some old frames ;) They look well on yours :cool:

I've been riding splashbacks in the 2.1 version for a while now. Great tire for all conditions except deep mud. Low rolling too, but not very light at almost 600 grams for a 2.1

just got a pair of reissue timbuks. In my opinion they look much cooler, haven't ridden them yet though.

brocklanders023":1yn7b0jv said:
These are my Splashbacks. Ignore the building site back yard, it's better now :oops:

:cool: Are yours 1.8s or 2.1s Edd? Got some 2.1s to go on my Stumpy but noticed that most people on here go for 1.8 - do they seem wider than they're stated size etc? Don't want to fit them yet to see!

:?:

Mine are 2.1's Matty. Went for them as they were always going on the modern bike so no worries with clearance. They maybe come up a bit wider then my 2.1 Kenda's but not too much more. ;)

Back