GT Zaskar idealised specification.. show me yours..

good ole mainly stocker '94 w/M900 bits.
p5pb11954395.jpg
p5pb11954391.jpg

View attachment 798032
Mine is an older one, '93, and I just bought the frame....but added bling in the shape of XTR mechs, cranks, levers and brakes, Syncros Stem, Tioga Bars plus some funky Shimano wheels and Super Yummy Tyres...

oh and some PACE forks....
I rode this loads, and loved it, but always felt that a race frame should be a size smaller. So I ended up giving the 18" frame to my brother (who is 4 inches taller ;) ) and built this 16" one up from a neglected old frame I found MarketPlace.

IMG_3739.jpeg

As others have said XT/XTR is a good reliable groupset to use.

My Zasker from back in the day wears XT front mech, XTR rear mech, XT rapidfire shifters, Hope headset, Hope hubs, Bolt-on rear disc conversion, Kona project II fork with my own welded on disc mount, Yeti grips, Dean seat post, TI Beserker Seat & Time ATAC clipless pedals.

Yes it's very rigid so you have to pick a good line down the trail and keep relaxed and allow the bike to move around underneath you, but it's also nice and light.

Having said that I'm slowly machining my own clamps for a lefty fork to fit a 1 1/8" steerer tube so I can upgrade it to front suspension.

Agree that an XT or XTR build would be my target and I'd try to add some period correct bling on it like a RaceFace Turbine crank, upmarket brakes, a nice stem from someone like Synchros or Ringle, wheels with fancy hubs, annodized bars, and topped off with a Marzocchi Z1.

Latest posts

Back