GT Xizang 92. Done 23/05/10 (Pictures heavy)

Very very very cool :cool: really looking forward to seeing this one. Your old one was on of the best :)

I've got one of those in 18".

Where did you find the SunTour bottom bracket in 73mm width and have they got any more?

The black brake levers will be period correct, the gold ones were '93 and later I think.

You've got a MicroDrive chainset there, but a 'non-compact' rear hub and cogs. '92 MicroDrive would be 8-speed 11-28. You probably already know that the wishbone shifters are 7-speed only, but I think you can force a ghost click out of them ;-)

Very much looking forward to seeing this built up :D

DoctorRad":ok5syi2n said:
I've got one of those in 18".

Where did you find the SunTour bottom bracket in 73mm width and have they got any more?

The black brake levers will be period correct, the gold ones were '93 and later I think.

You've got a MicroDrive chainset there, but a 'non-compact' rear hub and cogs. '92 MicroDrive would be 8-speed 11-28. You probably already know that the wishbone shifters are 7-speed only, but I think you can force a ghost click out of them ;-)

Very much looking forward to seeing this built up :D

Bought 68 mm as whole set but purchased later on Grease Guard spindle only for 73 mm shell and with 117 mm width (for micro) from MOMBAT.org
Can't see any more on website but try send mail to Jeff from First Flight Bikes. He has Suntour XC Pro headsets in good price as well.

Couldn't decided what I want and ended up with half standard and half MD :D

Yes hub and cogs are standard, 12-30 7 speed, as 36 hole MD is hard to find and cogs are darn expensive. 92' MicroDrive had 7 speed option but with narrower splined hub. Anyway, MD RD takes 30 teeth cog so should works perfectly and I like bit more soft gears, not correct period though.

Radoslaw":11w0s8cp said:
Bought 68 mm as whole set but purchased later on Grease Guard spindle only for 73 mm shell and with 117 mm width (for micro) from MOMBAT.org
Can't see any more on website but try send mail to Jeff from First Flight Bikes. He has Suntour XC Pro headsets in good price as well.

That was lucky, I would have bought it if I'd spotted it in time! They are NOT common in 73mm, but I do have a boxed NOS 68mm to take the cups etc from if I find an axle.

Have just put one of my two NOS 1-1/8" XC Pro headsets on my old Saracen frame along with an almost minty non-compact crankset. Trouble is, I know this bike is going to get bashed up in the woods - that's what I'm building it for - so I think I will put some beat up old XT on instead!

demianmatthews":1cath0ww said:
You made the polishing yourself?, if you did it, please tell me how to do it.

It was just some polishing compound heavy duty paste for car lacquers and ordinary cloth. But spend whole weekend working on it :)

Back