GT RTS1 - a bit steep on the starting price

I know this seems to be going on and on but it's keeping me entertained trying to get to the bottom of it. ;)

Pickle":1qbv0jh3 said:
This bike, IMO, is a 1994 Team RTS with some wrong stickers on (ie RTS-1 and 7000 alu).

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1994.pdf

The 1995 RTS-1, as it is claimed to be, looks nothing like this bike.

I'd agree, either that or an RTS-1, but the main triangle is wrong. :? The toptube end plate is the curved Avalanche style rather than the flat 'USA made' one.
This means it's a 7000 series frame from an rts-2 or rts-3.

Is there a chance the main frame has been replaced at some point or was done before the original sale. Longman, you say your mate worked in the trade, any chance he got a good deal on a 'special or refurb' from the suppliers?

cherrybomb":2aow1xdl said:
Longman, you say your mate worked in the trade, any chance he got a good deal on a 'special or refurb' from the suppliers?

It could be the case, as never to my knowledge have GT issued bikes where the sticker colours do not match, as per your mates bike.

LM, please do not take this thread as us having a dig at you, your mate or the bike. We are all just curious about the bike and its origins.

cherrybomb":2ce3dtxb said:
Hi.

I'm a bit confused now.

Acording to all the documentation I can find the RTS-1 had a 6061 frame from the start, only the RTS-2 & 3 had the 7000 series frames.

What is also worrying is that although you say that the decals are original (I'm not suggesting you are not telling the truth by the way) the RTS-1 had blue with a yellow edge decals while the RTS-3 had the white with black outline so the decals on the frame are not matching.

There is something 'not right' about it.

If you do have a copy of the 1995 catalogue with the RTS-1 in (the one I've seen only shows the Team). I'd be really interested in a scanned copy if it's not too much hassle. ;)

Cheers.

Not wanting to imply anything here, but you can get this sticker colour scheme for an RTS from ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MTB-GT-RTS-decal- ... dZViewItem

I have bought a set for when my RTS will get sprayed

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ive got an rts-1.
When I got it it still had the original 6061 sticker stuck to it....

Im not sure if I would have had GT do me an "upgrade" to 7000 series though.. :LOL:

I know that when caratti went t*ts up, they were throwing rts frames and spares into a skip at the back as they couldnt sell them. :cry:

Ive even got a pic of it somewhere.

One of my local shops bought about 10 of them for about 30 quid and a load of bits to go with them, It might be a skip salvage job that has been sold on... Caratti did some "odd" things to try and scrape through when things got too tight for them.

Personally, I dont think this is an rts-1 frame.

It might have been sold as one to the current owner.. :oops:

But I dont think it left the chinese frame builders as one. :roll:

As previously mentioned;
What I know for sure is that Max ordered and sold this bike to his best and longest running mate in the Summer of 1995.
Not at that time, or anytime since were either of them 'suspicious' of the bike, untill now.

To this end Max did not try a fast one on his mate and his mate is not trying a fast one on anyone else. (Wish I'd photographed their faces reading these threads)! Neither of them would lie, or moreover would be capable of deception).

Many parts were changed over the years BUT the frame was left as it arrived - No re-badge, No cut and shut and rather sadly not much ridding.

Thanks for your imputs but I still don't get it.

LM

was tempted to strip it for bits as I already have a frame for the bits

You may wish to keep an eye; for the bike will either be relisted, or relisted in parts.

The listing had plenty of watchers - I guess all from here :LOL:

In addition, there will be some other retro quality parts going up in the next few weeks.

Enjoy.

LM

Back