GT RTS aluminum rear triangle cracked at pivots. where to find replacement/repair?

mior

Dirt Disciple
Hey! First time poster but ive been on for a bit. I got an RTS frame and shock for $50 and built it up with stuff i had around, only to realize that the chainstay is cracked in a few spots where it pivots and meets the seatstay. the frame is 6061 t6, serial num below. I can find every part online but chainstays. anyone know where to source one/if they are repairable? seems like a hard place to weld. ill post pics of the cracks later.

Attachments

• p5pb26504397.jpg
    p5pb26504397.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 51
  • p5pb26592041.jpg
    p5pb26592041.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 54
  • p5pb26592040.jpg
    p5pb26592040.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 53
I had same problem posted a wanted add in gt rts group and a guy in Finland sold me one ,there like rocking horse shit , good luck

They do seem to go at that point. You could get it repaired, I think it's slotted in then welded so you could have it chopped of and a new fabricated piece added in.

I've got a couple of these frames and a few spares just in case. One spare is a cromo rear triangle, no pivot at the rear to break.

Fyi I wondered what BLEM meant so looked it up. Appears to mean blemish or factory second. Never knew that. Yours looks lovely so wonder what the reason it didn't pass qa and was marked with BLEM?

They do seem to go at that point. You could get it repaired, I think it's slotted in then welded so you could have it chopped of and a new fabricated piece added in.

I've got a couple of these frames and a few spares just in case. One spare is a cromo rear triangle, no pivot at the rear to break.

Fyi I wondered what BLEM meant so looked it up. Appears to mean blemish or factory second. Never knew that. Yours looks lovely so wonder what the reason it didn't pass qa and was marked with BLEM?
its got a few blemishes on the top tube, nothing major. when i bought it it had been in a shed for years and was covered in severe corrosion and dullness. used a whole tub of polish to get here. I live quite close to where the gt factory was (this is a USA frame) and I would not be surprised if an employee took it home with a big discount on it and thats how it got out to the public.

I had the same thing about a month ago when I purchased an rts2. As already mentioned perhaps get a steel rear replacement. I picked up an rts3 frame as it uses the steel rear with no pivots so will transplant it over to my rts2 main frame.

Latest posts

Back