GT Outpost Trail

hawkhill97

Retro Guru
Been keeping my eyes out for a winter project for a little while, but seems there's not much worth bothering with about - maybe the rock bottom pricing is meaning people are keeping hold of their kit at the moment as they'll only get pennies for selling it (not too mention the horrendous faff of trying to sell anything on FB marketplace!).

I'm not sure this one really counts as "worth it" either....

But it was only a tenner and a ten minute drive away. And it's purple!

PXL_20241015_162335072.jpg

Hmmmm.

I'm going to have to raid the parts bin a fair bit too make something halfway nice out of this aren't I 😂

PXL_20241015_162343096.jpg PXL_20241015_162351952.jpg PXL_20241015_162359440.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20241015_162340397.jpg
    PXL_20241015_162340397.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 0
I picked up an absolute wreck of a bike a few weeks ago, which (underneath a hefty crust of skank) yielded a nice Suntour xc pro crankset, stx brifters, and a nice XT rear mech.

The crap bits from the GT can go on the (mystery) ally frame - might as well build it into a functional bicycle and pass it on to someone who may be able to make use of it.

The nicer bits will go on the GT. Not 100% sure what the final plan for the build will be, I'm sort of tempted by some big swept back cruiser bars (as I've never ridden this setup in anger off road), but I suspect it'll look best with narrow flat bars.

Not feeling super inspired right now TBH, but I need some shed-therapy time now the rain/mud/dark is setting in, and who knows, it may turn out nicer than it has any right to be 😂

Did these get any lighter over the years? I remember the iconic Orange coloured 91 era model Outpost weighing an absolute tonne.
If it were me I would strip the paint & go all artistic with my own splatter paint effort. GT's should have bonkers paint finishes & that would certainly be therapy of the shed kind.

Nope, it's pretty heavy!

The frame has a sticker boasting of a CroMo seat tube, which I presume means pig iron top tube and down tube.

Interesting you sound mention the spatter paint jobs... Was idly wondering about this myself on the way into work. Purple with white drizzle overlay maybe. Let's see how it cleans up first.

Back