GT LTS DH - How Much Travel for Single Crown Fork

Mark S

Dirt Disciple
Hope someone can help here. I have a '97 GT LTS DH, with the red, dual crown Rock Shox Judy forks (DHO I think). If one were to replace these forks (they are ready to be retired), with a single crown fork, what sort of travel would I be looking at? I'm guessing 120mm, but seek confirmation / recommendations.

Thanks in advance, Mark.

DHO's were 4" travel i think, but it would be wise to measure the axle-to-crown height of the DHO's, & get a replacement fork with the same-ish measurments..thats if you want to replicate the same ride postion. (bar height) without going/getting to long forks, messing with your geomerty & screwing the ride up..

if they are 4" travel, it would be interesting to see how long they are compared to modern 4" forks.. if they are longer then 120 forks would be ok. fox/rockshox etc.

dont go triple clamp!

Lots of people use to run that frame w/ 120mm Z1's. So if you want more travel i'd find a period one of those.

Thanks for the responses everybody. I'm not really interested in how much travel I can obtain, it's more about keeping the current "balance". If anything, I think it could drop a small margin and still handle OK. And I should have thought of just measuring the axle to crown distance. Thanks again.

Regards, Mark.

Mark S":28rm7229 said:
Thanks for the responses everybody. I'm not really interested in how much travel I can obtain, it's more about keeping the current "balance". If anything, I think it could drop a small margin and still handle OK. And I should have thought of just measuring the axle to crown distance. Thanks again.

Regards, Mark.

I have built a NOS GT LTS frame , it is on here back this time last year , i biult it with new components from the ground up and I am running Rockshox Pike 454's on it. They have 140mm travel and they suit the bike so much better than the standard 100mm travel fork that came on it.

Might be worth a look.

I hope this helps.

Something like the Pike would be a good move as the travel is adjustable and you can work our for yourself what you like.

Pike requires a 20mm front hub though, not your standard GR type, so you'd need to get a new wheel too. Not a bad move if you're riding DH on it.

If you're not using it for serious DH use, a Rock Shox Revelation would be a good alternative, has slightly less travel (130mm max) but works with QR hubs.

I second what pretty much everyone has said here. I've a 130mm Z1 on my STS and it suits the bike very well. It used to have an older 100mm Z1 before, but the longer travel suits the bike better in my opinion.

The nice thing about the LTS is that you can alter the geometry quite a bit by screwing the shock either further in or out of the trunion housing. Easy to make adjustments to compensate for extra front-end travel, or set it up to ride how you like. For a laugh, I wound the bottom bracket as low as it would go, slackening off the head angle, and cruised around - chopper-style!

Back