GT LTS Build - Finally Finished

GISKARD

Retro Newbie
Hi,

Just thought I's begin to write about progress of my first retro bike build. Got this GT frame and a Univega frame for £30 the pair from ebay. When I went to collect the frame the seller asked if I actually wanted the GT frame as he thought it was junk and was going to put it in the bin.

Decided that the look for the bike was basically to include bits and pieces that I wanted on my bike when I was younger but couldn't afford then

Stripped the frame and had the frame painted in PPG Matt Black and have added some gloss black GT decals. Bike will be mainly Matt Black and Polished Aluminium. Fitting Girvin Vector Forks because I like the look of them and I got a set of Snowflaked wheels as a surprise Xmas pressie. XT groupset will be fitted with gripshifts.

Will be upgrading to Fox Float shocks front and back

prebuildframe.jpg

prebuildshot2.jpg

prebuildshot.jpg

sorry for the poor standard of photo's will update with better ones later on.

I know - just placed them like that so it would prop the crank up to take the picture and I could get an idea of what it is going to look like when finished

GISKARD":127h3mcq said:
I know - just placed them like that so it would prop the crank up to take the picture and I could get an idea of what it is going to look like when finished

Ah cool... Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a smartarse ;) :LOL: :LOL:

I fancy some Girvin/Noleen forks for mine too. :)

How are you going to use the Fox shock with the Trunion mount on the rear ?

Also be carefull of the shock length, LTS's (and older full sussers in general) have a fairly short shock body, put a longer modern one on and the bike will look/ride hideous.

jimihendrix":y2499rln said:

Also be carefull of the shock length, LTS's (and older full sussers in general) have a fairly short shock body, put a longer modern one on and the bike will look/ride hideous.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly certain that you can use a longer shock on the rear if you need to, because the trunnion mounts to the threaded part of the shock, rather than the top shock eyelets (as with the earlier LTS). You just need to make sure that the stroke length is the same, and that the spring is the same length.... I think..!

Reason I say this is because I've seen a trunnion mount LTS (like this one) using a standard fox coil rear shock. The trunnion mounted to the threads and the top shock eyelet was unused and sticking out of the top of the linkage. It looked odd, but it worked fine :)

Barneyballbags":3dyz0nr9 said:
jimihendrix":3dyz0nr9 said:

Reason I say this is because I've seen a trunnion mount LTS (like this one) using a standard fox coil rear shock. The trunnion mounted to the threads and the top shock eyelet was unused and sticking out of the top of the linkage. It looked odd, but it worked fine :)

That one you seen with the eyelet was probably my old LTS DH :), that shock was a Fox Vanilla R Coil/Oil shock, pretty sure the Float shock mentioned by the OP is an Air/Oil.

The Fox shock with the eyelet had a threaded body (like the original RockShox Super Delux) but the body was a larger diameter, used a bigger modified Trunion mount that had a larger threaded hole than standard, i know it was larger as it was machined down on one side to aid fitting, was still an absolute bugger to fit back into the linkage though.

Here are some new photo's. The linkage needs torque setting and cables etc connected. I have now got everything to complete the build bar a saddle and a cassette for the back wheel. Awaiting a machined part so that I can connect up the Fox Shock on the fork, but I am going to use the standard Rock Shox on the back for the time being until I get a matching Fox Shock. Fingers crossed should be finished by Sunday.

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

pretty tidy looking beastie.

Think it's already been said, but i really like the decals against the matt paint, very aesthetically pleasing to my designer's eye :cool:

which Fox shock are you going to use on the rear? the suggested one, as i'm thinking forward to a time when the deluxe goes on mine, and needs replacing..

Latest posts

Back