GT groove tube

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
When was this featured on GT's? I have one and was wondering about the timeline. Also whats the idea behind it.

first appeared in '92 with the stitch from Tange to True Temper tubing (maybe Tange couldn't offer it?) It appears to be there for two primary reasons

1 you can run all the cables through it for rear brake and gears so they don't stick out of the frame a bit like habing internally routed cabling, only al fresco.

2 you can collect samples of mud from everywhere you've ever visited in it. A bit like a geologists core sample.

I believe the point I'm trying to make is – it offers no particular advantage and therefore is probably just another GT marketing stunt. you've got to love 'em they certainly went out of their way to be different :D

Just checked and it is Tange tubed. Tange MTB butted.

Only remember it on the steel bikes around 92/93ish and seem to vanish after that. As said above here they did fill up with crap more and stop yer rear brake working. :?

Cool I think it may be a 93, by 94 they had switch to true temper. Looked up the cats and it appears to have the bologna fork which is nice, unfortunately missing the flip flop stem though.

funny...real funny posts! When most othe bike companies were going to banjo string top tube cable routing...three on top, three on one side....GT decided cleaner was better and tucked them up out of the way. The Groove tube was a True Temper design and as stated above started in 1992 and was continued through at least 96 on the Psyclone for sure. GT began running the rear brake cable only in a top tube groove tube on the some of the lower to mid priced models that weren't True Temper tubing. I've had a couple bikes with it for years and never had any issues with it collecting dirt but I guess some of you let your bikes go years between cleanings ;)

I prefer to take the hose to mine when I come home after a muddy ride.

Like gm says above - run stainless cables and clean your bikes after every ride, as a mechanic I can tell you that you will literally put years on a bikes life by not being lazy about cleaning it.

Back