gt bottom bracket

gm1230126":b96z7kaz said:
stevetait":b96z7kaz said:
Drystone has the answer....you can still fit a smaller 68mm BB into it but it needs to be a 73mm shell. The result would be crank arms very close or catching. :(

Even if the cups go in the spindle is still 113mm in length regardless whether it's a 73 or 68mm wide BB shell. How will that solve anything. If it hits on a 113 width doesn't matter now does it. Bottom line is it will need to be longer to clear and work properly.

Threading a 68mm BB into a 73mm BB shell is not the right thing to do either and hugely poor advice. If it's a 68mm BB with a shoulder on one side it will throw the hole thing off one direction once installed....bad, bad advice. Is this to be a wall hanger or a rider?

He's not suggesting to do it, just merely stating that if it is a 73mm frame then a 68mm bottom bracket would go in and tighten up and cause this problem on the left hand side.

bottom bracket

thanks for all the replies ,really apreciate it ,have just measured the shell its 73mm ,but i think if i get a 73 113 it will still catch i think i need a 73 118

It might do it might not, but the frame being 2.5mm wider at either side would have been the cause of your crank catching when you stuck a 68mm bb in.

To further add, I have just checked my spares and have an M443 crankset that was supplied (from ebay) with a 118mm bottom bracket. These were supposed to be taken from the same bike and I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Latest posts

Back