GT Bologna Lite...

depending on which year they a 'slightly' suspension corrected

I ended up selling my Airborne because finding forks that I was happy with was simply impossible.

The forks in your photos have two eyelets on each drop out meaning they are unlikely to be the triple butted ones. Triple butted forks were around 750g. Those are probably just under 1kg.

AFAIK most were around 395mm A to C, '98 and later are about 425mm, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Thanks for the info!

The Airborne is my first non retro bike, so I have to get used to new standard: riding it with my Sunn forks was one very scary experience! :shock:

425-440mm should be good as I am just back from a ride with 100mm Judys and it was a great ride!

Such forks should be fine, even though they won't be the lightest :
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/project-2-triple-butted-mtb-fork--ec017291

If anyone has such Konas, I wonder what they weigh and how they ride...

Cheers,

Rémy
;)

remy b":29ydyo9s said:
425-440mm should be good as I am just back from a ride with 100mm Judys and it was a great ride!

If anyone has such Konas, I wonder what they weigh and how they ride...
A 100mm fork will be c47.5cm long, say 45.5cm with 2cm sag. So if that gives you an ideal head angle, the 44cm P2 will give you about one degree steeper.

I don't know the weight of that fork, but I have one of the previous type of 44cm P2 and that weighs c1,000g.

I have Bologna lite forks that measure between 395 and 405 axle to crown. Keep in mind that these forks were produced when 63-72mm travel was the standard...so not likely there are any out there over 405mm a-c.

thanks!

Now, let's get weird : the first time I tried my short Sunn forks, the bike felt totally uncontrolable.
The front end was way to touchy and I felt I couldn't pedal without the bike going from left to right.
"Very disappoiunted I was...", as Yoddah would say... :cry:

Just because I am very stubborn, I tried different length and even :oops: suspension forks :oops: starting from long travel to short travel.
Cool bike. Great handling whateveer the forks : the shorter the sharper, of course.

And I finally put the rigid Sunn forks again. Who said I was stubborn again ??? :LOL:
The bike feels sharper than ever, but it rides perfectly straight and it is not scary anymore. Quick and sharp front end - but i like it.
I even tested it off road : it is definitely a nervous ride, but it is really manageable...

So what happened ?

The only answer is that I must have forgotten to fit that compression spacer in the headset, hence that vague front-end...

"A bit confused I am...", as Yoddah would say... :?:

Cheers,

Rémy
;)

Latest posts

Back