Growing hostility towards Mountainbikers and Cyclists

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":rle8b27p said:
Indeed. Still a few cat lives left. I had no idea or warning that trucking was coming up from behind and swinging at me so fast. I looked to my right when I heard it's gears changing down and then saw it looming at me. There was really nowhere else for me to go. Reckon I got some insight into how some of these headline fatalities in London may have happened.

Yes i know exactly what you mean as i'd been in similar situations a few times over the years and i guess the most unerving situation was back in the mid 80's when i was passing a stationary bus at a bus stop only for the driver to suddenly move off from the stop while i was passing so i stood on the pedals and went like the clappers and manged to get in front of the bus other wise i'd of been knocked into the other lane of traffic going in the opposite direction ..

Re:

I was over at Hadleigh MTB track a few weekends ago and actually had to avoid the walkers and also a woman pushing a pram on the track!!!!

:facepalm:

legrandefromage":28l2hf55 said:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lorry-drivers-blind-spots-video-2849365

Yeah – despite the number of high profile fatalities there have been involving cyclists and HGVs, I still see cyclists impatiently wobbling along up the blind sides of these things. Having been in the cab of some of these things and also driven vans myself, I know how little visibility there is for the driver. You're trying to park or manoeuvre the thing and still people try to walk past your back end while you're obviously moving. As a cyclist, simply waiting just a few seconds behind a HGV for it to go is always the best option. But when a HGV comes from behind you at speed and attempts to turn over you as you're riding (visibly so), what chance do you have?

misteroo":3mf65s7i said:
I was over at Hadleigh MTB track a few weekends ago and actually had to avoid the walkers and also a woman pushing a pram on the track!!!!

:facepalm:

Bet they gave you a filthy look of outrage for your sins too?

groovyblueshed":3q6ryk68 said:
Well said Janet – nice to see you getting your facts right – an opinion piece that could have been hammered out by any small minded...

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/cyc ... 52376.html

Typical piece by an attention seeking has-been pseudo intellectual. Complaining about traffic fumes ffs. There's so much evidence that taking back inner cities, promoting walking and cycling has a huge positive effect, not only on increased business productivity but on a real feeing of happiness in the neighbouring populous.

M-Power":anycedjj said:
Typical piece by an attention seeking has-been pseudo intellectual.
Pseudo intellectual? There's nothing intellectual, pseudo or otherwise, about Janet Street-Porter, and there never has been. She was a joke in the '70s, and still is, 40 years on.

Back