Growing hostility towards Mountainbikers and Cyclists

Oh what fun out near Grafham today. Some sort of sportive going on on some very fast but narrow A roads...

Yes, 3 abreast and long unbroken lines of 15 20 cyclists - dont shake you head at me when I find myself stuck out in the middle of the road with cyclists both sides - wtf am I supposed to do you self righteous arse. And why try and undertake the car and trailer in front of me? How on earth is that going to do you any good??

You could tell the experienced from the novice - thumbs up when it was clear to pass, a wave of the hand to say stay back. Gentle overtaking and plenty of room from me - but those who werent used to the roads - jeeze...

Re:

Ah yes, the Sportive... may be that's why...

With more people getting into cycling, there's the potential for more of those who are completely inexperienced with the ways of the road. I often cringe as I go along in London, as despite past tragic headlines, there are still those going up the blind sides of limited view vehicles turning left, and those who go between lines of moving buses and trucks barely wide enough for handle bars. Then there's cyclists who undertake you as you're pulling closer to the curb as you anticipate a larger vehicle ahead – you suddenly realise there's someone else's bars just inches from your knees in the last foot of road before the curb.

This is cycling we're talking about? Not a gladiatorial struggle against overwhelming odds and an aggressive foe, hell bent on our destruction. Are things really that anti?

The History Man":1970aq04 said:
This is cycling we're talking about? Not a gladiatorial struggle against overwhelming odds and an aggressive foe, hell bent on our destruction. Are things really that anti?

It is in London. Sadly the cyclists don't help themselves - the amount I see riding in the gutter, undertaking vehicles, going for gaps that really aren't there.
I work just up from Ludgate circus where I think two (or it maybe more - I lose count :( ) people have died in the last year from vehicles turning left - still i see bikes sneaking up the inside :facepalm:

Not that's it's all out fault by any means, I saw a guy knocked off the other day when a pedestrian just stepped out in front of him and I don't know how many times I've been overtaken only for the car/van/taxi to turn left right in front of me. Or have people just pull out of side roads in front of me. Sometimes I think we must be invisible :roll:

yagamuffin":2dls9hmx said:
. Sometimes I think we must be invisible :roll:

I've ridden bikes since I was "knee high to a grasshopper", and motorcycles since shortly after that (when British motorbikes still ruled the roads - which is a long time ago) ... and the one thing that made a HUGE difference to longevity/staying alive through all of that - especially motorcycles - is always always act as though you are invisible ... or even better than that ... as though everyone else out there want to kill you.

It'll help you survive the madness of two-wheeled bliss through the crowded streets of insanity!

:cool:

Not sure if I posted this before but I had a very odd/aggressive experience on my commute to work. I was up against the kerb, in between two stationary cars as the traffic had stopped (as had i). As traffic started to move off, I did too and suddenly lt from the right a scooter came at me after cutting in between the two cars. I had to put my arm out to fend him off, and off he scooted, no harm done, not a cross word spoken.

This is where it gets odd. Just as all this happened a padestrian grabbed me and tried to pull me from my bike shouting and swearing at me for no apparent reason. I could only assume they were a scooter user themselves and felt that as I had averted being knocked off my bike, they were upset by the lack of a cyclist on the ground underneath a bike at the mercy of London traffic?

k-rod":2btjc6ch said:
yagamuffin":2btjc6ch said:
. Sometimes I think we must be invisible :roll:

I've ridden bikes since I was "knee high to a grasshopper", and motorcycles since shortly after that (when British motorbikes still ruled the roads - which is a long time ago) ... and the one thing that made a HUGE difference to longevity/staying alive through all of that - especially motorcycles - is always always act as though you are invisible ... or even better than that ... as though everyone else out there want to kill you.

It'll help you survive the madness of two-wheeled bliss through the crowded streets of insanity!

:cool:

I hear you there buddy. Best bit of advice I had was that two wheels or more I have just as much as right to be there as anyone else and need to be positive and own the road - do not ever ride in the gutter like you're apologising for being in the way.

Excellent thread!

Here's some perspective from rural Missouri. The car (or more specifically the Truck) is King and there's a complete lack of Bridal paths, RUPPs, Bikeways and other cycle friendly routes outside of some of the State and City Parks. The State Government was recently considering two measures to pass into law. The first, was that bike riders on public roads would be obliged to pull over to the side of the road, stop and dismount when a vehicle wanted to pass. That is asinine, but the second measure on the table is even more ludicrous. Under this new proposed regulation all cyclists would be required to mount a 15' tall pole with a fluorescent orange flag on top to their bike.

So far while cycling on public roads I've been shot at, had dogs set on me, run off the road multiple times, and sworn at more times than I can remember. These are dangerous times and Politicians of all parties here and back in Europe seem clueless and indifferent.

ishaw":2o4571io said:
Not sure if I posted this before but I had a very odd/aggressive experience on my commute to work. I was up against the kerb, in between two stationary cars as the traffic had stopped (as had i). As traffic started to move off, I did too and suddenly lt from the right a scooter came at me after cutting in between the two cars. I had to put my arm out to fend him off, and off he scooted, no harm done, not a cross word spoken.

This is where it gets odd. Just as all this happened a padestrian grabbed me and tried to pull me from my bike shouting and swearing at me for no apparent reason. I could only assume they were a scooter user themselves and felt that as I had averted being knocked off my bike, they were upset by the lack of a cyclist on the ground underneath a bike at the mercy of London traffic?

I can well believe that. I've seen many similar arguments in London. They probably don't ride anything at all themselves but simply thought that you as a cyclist were automatically at fault, even though it was the person on the scooter cutting you up. They probably only saw the tail end of things when you were raising your arm to fend off the scooter and thought you were having a go at someone.

There was a time when motorcyclists enjoyed the reputation cyclists now suffer but even though they cut recklessly through traffic they do seem to be excused their sins by motorists.

yagamuffin":3c5udkty said:
The History Man":3c5udkty said:

It is in London. Sadly the cyclists don't help themselves - the amount I see riding in the gutter, undertaking vehicles, going for gaps that really aren't there.
I work just up from Ludgate circus where I think two (or it maybe more - I lose count :( ) people have died in the last year from vehicles turning left - still i see bikes sneaking up the inside :facepalm:

Not that's it's all out fault by any means, I saw a guy knocked off the other day when a pedestrian just stepped out in front of him and I don't know how many times I've been overtaken only for the car/van/taxi to turn left right in front of me. Or have people just pull out of side roads in front of me. Sometimes I think we must be invisible :roll:

I remember the one at the junction of Luddgate Hill and Farringdon Street – another case of a tipper or cement truck turning through a junction over someone on their bike. I'm afraid that riding throughout London really is a combative activity and a propaganda war. Some days, I just can't face the thought of getting on my bike to commute through London and end up resorting to public transport but I kind of feel this is whimping out and giving in. You have to go for and own, as much as possible, any road space you can get. Never ride in the gutter and never flinch – blinking first makes motorists feel powerful. But do be courteous and make friendly eye contact and acknowledge all other road users and this will get you far.

Latest posts

Back