Grisley Cross Renegade. Worth picking up?

Zeak

Retro Newbie
Hey guys. I'm having a little itch for a daily 90s MTB build and I just started looking for a frame or a complete bike. Ideally it would be something classic as a GT/Cannondale/etc but I just stumbled upon this Grisley Cross Renegade in a funky yellow. Looks interesting but there's absolutely no info about it or a complete bike photo to see the original components. Would you say it's a pass? Cheers!

1000DKK is roughly 134,04 Euro

IIRC, Grisleys were well regarded bitd if more of a niche brand and fairly rare in the UK. The only guy I knew who had one, also had a Rocky Mountain.

I like the back end on that. I bet it climbs well.

Hey guys. I'm having a little itch for a daily 90s MTB build and I just started looking for a frame or a complete bike. Ideally it would be something classic as a GT/Cannondale/etc but I just stumbled upon this Grisley Cross Renegade in a funky yellow. Looks interesting but there's absolutely no info about it or a complete bike photo to see the original components. Would you say it's a pass? Cheers!

1000DKK is roughly 134,04 Euro

I like that. A rare Magnesium alloy, and takes 700c wheels. Seems lightweight fun. Should carefully checked for cracks before buying.
Unique.

With regards to Grisley as bike brand and Peter Grisley, the designer in general, I have summarized some information already a bit ago

I haven't seen a 700C bike before, that's something I would say a bit more interesting a the regular 26" MTBs with similar frame design.

Here is a adverstisment for a 700C Trekking bike called Grisley Bear Track, maybe this has an identical basis, but fully loaded (also weight-wise) with racks and fenders and a comfort stem for the typical target group.
Grisley 1995-02.png

Last edited:
Guys, thanks so much for the comments and info, I knew I came to the right place. 😎 I'm a 6ft4 guy and this size most likely will be perfect, unlike the most of the 26" bikes I'm eyeing. My only thing is that I already own a big modern gravel and just wanted something a bit more petite and fun for the commute here in Copenhagen. I guess I'm contradicting myself here a bit.. Anyways. Components wise, would it be safe to assume that I shouldn't expect any major deviation from that era's MTBs, right (like weird BBs, stem sizes etc)?

Guys, thanks so much for the comments and info, I knew I came to the right place. 😎 I'm a 6ft4 guy and this size most likely will be perfect, unlike the most of the 26" bikes I'm eyeing. My only thing is that I already own a big modern gravel and just wanted something a bit more petite and fun for the commute here in Copenhagen. I guess I'm contradicting myself here a bit.. Anyways. Components wise, would it be safe to assume that I shouldn't expect any major deviation from that era's MTBs, right (like weird BBs, stem sizes etc)?
I just realised the ad actually states both the bb thread and the stem sizes 🫠

Yellow?, a Grisley has to be shiny silver with balck and purple components.
:)

I didn´t own one, but I owned her brother, and was quite nice, diferent with that big tubes. I like the frame but mine was a bit basic and has to go. This at least need the black LX and some nice wheels, my wheel set were very bad, not the original ones.

The renegade seems to be like the bear track, a city bicycle or cicloturims. It could be a funn bicycle.

1720694753479.jpeg

1720695361908.jpeg

Last edited:
hi,
I was looking today at the same pictures of this Renegade on sale in UA
w745_fa31gtpcq_1658ad83.jpg
It's obviously a different model, without rear cantilever and also no derailleur hanger, but geometry-wise it could be a similar frame.

It has a very low bottom bracket, something I personally like as you sit gravity-wise more in the center of the bike as on top of it, like you also do with modern 29er or Gravel bikes.
I think this is a good basis especially for a taller guy like you and using this as an fast commuter bike.

Yellow is in general in my opinion also a nice color for a bike, especially compared to 90% of matte black or grayish bikes and cars on the road nowadays.
Yellow also goes well with Skinwall tires, especially modern gravel tires come in often with a bit more dark brown sidewall, this could look great with the bulky yellow frame.

The ad shows or lists everything you need to know.
If Google was doing a good job an 68mm BSA bottom bracket is already included, very likely squared.
It also has cable routing and hanger for cantilever brakes.
It looks like the steerer of the fork has threads, this would mean you need an 1 1/8 headset non-ahead but threaded and a proper quill stem.
If the Seat post size is just 25,8mm it's a bit uncommon make it more hard to find a nice and fordable seat post.
Maybe ask the seller if he still has the original seat post?

It's definitely a very interesting frame with a lot of cool details. as a daily bike, I would look towards simpler steel frames and use the Grisley as a weekend bike; )

The frame looks like it is in perfect condition, but I would still recommend inspecting it carefully for cracks. in my experience this is not uncommon with magnesium alloy (I dealt with kirk prescision mtb)

Latest posts

Back