Great news. Ebay drops seller charges!

Is your competition on new parts and accessories?
There are some sellers of new items claim to be private, although I don't get how that's possible.
20241002_090525.jpg
If you buy new, it's covered by consumer protection.

There are also offshore sellers, often with multiple ebay identities to avoid detection and vat, sometimes their stock is handled in the UK by gig- economy staff who don't have any idea what's in the boxes, so when it goes wrong it's impossible to get any sense out of anyone.
We've all had that experience i imagine.

But there are quite a few "used bike" dealers claiming to be private too.

There are some sellers of new items claim to be private, although I don't get how that's possible.

Just ask ebay customer services.. you'll defo get a response, i've instigated numerous fights with them over the years.. i'm always super polite even from the saddle of my high horse.. i've asked them

Are you comfortable profiting from the sale of fake goods? (links inserted)

Do you think it's ethical to profit from the sale of nazi memorabilia?

Don't you think it's in bad taste to promote the sale of Jim'll fix it badges and/or tee shirts on your site?

Alas.. i have less time to pick fights with multinational companies nowadays 😁

They say it's to compete with the likes of Vinted etc but nothing in life comes for free.
I obviously welcome the fact that it's free but I have never been fussed about the FVF because it's not as much as the difference in how much you can sell something for and the easiness of doing it.
Something I can sell on eBay for £75 might only get 40 on gumtree or FB plus I don't have people coming to my house all the time and dealing with all that 'it's not as good as the pics show mate' or whatever and then bartering on the doorstep, or having some scrote come round for a £3 brake disc and knowing where I live when he can see from my other listings what else I've got in my garage. Their money back guarantee makes people more comfortable buying items too so they spend a bit more.
I never barter on Gumtree collections, always full price or walk.

I feel for respectable businesses trying to make a living while having to deal with the "side-hustle" crew.

I would be interested to know where the line is between a legitimate hobby and a business in terms of buying and selling used bikes though. I have bought bikes I like the look of for the last 20 years when I see something at a decent price. Over the years I still have many of those bikes that I fixed up, rode and then just stored in my garage. I am now running out of space and am trying to downsize my collection. Most of these bikes will be worth more than I paid for them so am I in business or just selling off my stuff I don't need any more. Is it a case of turnover or motivation, i.e. did I buy something to flip or to enjoy then just got tired of and wanted to move on to try something new?

I feel for respectable businesses trying to make a living while having to deal with the "side-hustle" crew.

I would be interested to know where the line is between a legitimate hobby and a business in terms of buying and selling used bikes though. I have bought bikes I like the look of for the last 20 years when I see something at a decent price. Over the years I still have many of those bikes that I fixed up, rode and then just stored in my garage. I am now running out of space and am trying to downsize my collection. Most of these bikes will be worth more than I paid for them so am I in business or just selling off my stuff I don't need any more. Is it a case of turnover or motivation, i.e. did I buy something to flip or to enjoy then just got tired of and wanted to move on to try something new?

How would anyone know what you paid for them?

Buying used items with cash and then selling onwards will always be a hard area to enforce especially an object that can be split into many different parts.

I think it's clear to see that your situation is the latter.

View attachment 889486
If you buy new, it's covered by consumer protection.

There are also offshore sellers, often with multiple ebay identities to avoid detection and vat, sometimes their stock is handled in the UK by gig- economy staff who don't have any idea what's in the boxes, so when it goes wrong it's impossible to get any sense out of anyone.
We've all had that experience i imagine.

But there are quite a few "used bike" dealers claiming to be private too.
I have seen this a couple of times, scroll down to look for business information and they are private.

Back