182.1 KB · Views: 2,408
  • klein3 l.jpg
    klein3 l.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 2,408
  • klein 4 l.jpg
    klein 4 l.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 2,408
They just make pedaling easier.
I'm only 5'8" with short legs, the shorter cranks keep the whole pedal stroke within the most powerful part of my legs pedal stroke, if you see what i mean? :D
Riding my SS is as a result a far more pleasurable experience, not that particularly disliked it before :D

Mine -

tumblr_n11t0g7GY41rganawo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n1769oNbCp1rganawo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n2abyqR1dW1rganawo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n0mnhbTxyD1rganawo1_500.jpg

This thread has been great reading and very informative, so I thought it about time to share my first foray into the world of SS, with a gradual collection of sourced bits, both used and BNIB's.

It was the frame that started it, have long hankered for an Ala Carte and thanks to Tazio, he just so happened to have one the right size :D

Originally it was planned to be a Sram X9 3 x 9 drivetrain, somewhere that got derailed with self-delusions of physical fitness and strength and, that I've already got a hardtail with gears. Something simpler, lighter and be a joy to ride whilst getting my actual fitness and strength closer to my deluded levels seemed like a better plan. That and I've yet to build and ride a SS since I was a very young lad. As far as the SS bits go, I've gone for the initial budget approach, which I'm starting to regret a bit now - buy cheap, buy twice mantra going through my head, but at least I can suss out how it all works for me and gearing before splashing out on posh chainrings, cogs and tensioner's!

I'm having a slight issue with chain line at the mo, the basic rear hub conversion kit came with 2 spacers, one at 20mm, fitted inboard, then the cog, then the thin flat metal washer that came in the kit (still not sure where this is meant to go) followed by the second 15mm spacer. At the front, with both BB spacers fitted to the DS of the HT2 BB and the middle ring located on the inside of the LX HT2 spider, there's a visible and measurable 10mm difference between front ring and cog, where the cog needs to move outboard by the 10mm so they line up nicely. Strangely, the measured chain line at the front is 51mm, which seems a bit excessive to me.

As it's a 68mm shell, I'm thinking that I have to use all 3 BB spacers and Im best having 2 on the DS and 1 on the NDS, despite the 51mm, so Ive ordered up a very nice looking set of velosolo spacers, which will enable me to get the rear cog within a mm or so. And they're green ;)

Green highlights is the planned theme, albeit different shades of green, but the FSA headset was too much of a bargain to miss. I quite like the idea of a green Salsa chainring and some green chainring bolts, not to mention the Flip-Off skewers, but they will have to wait!

I imagine that at some point, I'll also be on the look out for some 425 a-c Cro Moto's, for now the second hand SID's that Ive reduced to 80mm will be lovely I'm sure.

Here's the current state of play and will post more pics and updates as they occur :D

Some of the assembled bits

And what they're going to be attached to…

That looks like a brilliant way to go singlespeeding SlackAlice :)
I'm sure you'll love the Salsa and love singlespeeding.
Keep us posted

Jamie

Nice Salsa but...............Well for me SS is about simplicity and mid to high end suspension forks are not simplicity. Why simplify and reduce the weight of the drive train then add a complex fork ?
Otherwise it'll be super cool I'm sure ;)

I see where you're coming from velomaniac and I have an inkling that eventually, there will be a pair of CroMoto's gracing the front of it at some point in the future! For the time being, I have front end bounce! Just to help ease me in to this one gear malarky ;) Which will mean that I won't be cutting down the steerer, as I feel it's likely the forks will be sold at some point to fund the CroMoto's :)

A day of self indulgence yesterday, produced this!….

32:18 to also help me 'adjust', with the aim of a 16t in the not too distant future. Finished last night with just a quick outing in the dark along the road to make sure things work as they need to and it feels light and lovely! :D

Back