Gravel? Don’t laugh! I’m just thinking out loud. Itch scratched

28c, that seems lacking in bunge but we have not yet seen the seatpost/stem set up. However, if you have a fillings, might I suggest cycling in a covid mask so any nearby walkers are at minimal risk of eye injury

28c, that seems lacking in bunge but we have not yet seen the seatpost/stem set up. However, if you have a fillings, might I suggest cycling in a covid mask so any nearby walkers are at minimal risk of eye injury
I’ve got an XLC damper stem & post that I will be using. I think for the nasty stuff I’m just gonna get off! 🤣
Of course the other option wheel/tyre wise is to drop down to 26” so I could easily fit 35mm + tyres. But then I’d be having to get extra long reach brakes and they’ll likely to be very squishy.

Sometimes I wonder why certain people even bother with this site...

The answer isnt always 'buy modern, its great' that is missing the point entirely.

The Claud Butler mtbs from the Antaeus' era were not the best at climbing, so dont get too obsessed by its performance

A good stiff quality aluminium frame will 'climb' very well but it will feel harsh on the downs

Quality steel can be twangy going up and supple coming down but also can end up noodly depending on what frame you have

Carbon. well, it can feel great but it often lets go at a certain point just when you need it , all the fizz seems to vanish but thats my now very limited experience with older kit - try borrowing something first to see if its worth all the effort

But butt Butte no matter what - you also have to be fit

Sometimes I wonder why certain people even bother with this site...

The answer isnt always 'buy modern, its great' that is missing the point entirely.

The Claud Butler mtbs from the Antaeus' era were not the best at climbing, so dont get too obsessed by its performance

A good stiff quality aluminium frame will 'climb' very well but it will feel harsh on the downs

Quality steel can be twangy going up and supple coming down but also can end up noodly depending on what frame you have

Carbon. well, it can feel great but it often lets go at a certain point just when you need it , all the fizz seems to vanish but thats my now very limited experience with older kit - try borrowing something first to see if its worth all the effort

But butt Butte no matter what - you also have to be fit
Oh dear, I seem to have made people think I’m either;
A serious about gravel grinding
B planning on spending lots of money

Of course I’m neither.
I’m taking my winter bike (a very cheaply acquired 2009 Carbon Claud road bike) as a base, buying some rough/urban road tyres and using some parts out of the “to eBay” bucket.
All because I found my beautiful Antaeus a little pedestrian when attempting 6 mile low angle climb.

Oh don't worry about a or b....just build!
Nothing better than the "I have an idea" type of bikes.....looking forward to it I'm sure you'll execute it nicely!
Sometimes when all you have is what's in the box thinking becomes out the box 😁
Go forth and build!

I'd just ride the road bike as is but with some slightly wider tires, I run some schwalbe cx on and off road

But that's just me, if you were me you'd be somebody else and not you, you need to be the you that you are

Maybe drop the big ring to a 50t or 48t, I will post a pic of the 'trundleageddon' later, it's the winter bicycle and it's 21st century, steel and never seen on RB

Back