Gravel bike packing, its all done wrong IMO

This is very much me, I use my gravel bike for rides from my door, usually below 40km. I just stick my phone, wallet and a snack in the top tube bag, stick on a bottle or two and set off. Not having to sort the Camelbak or pack the car to drive somewhere is the whole appeal. yesterday I bunged on a Crud Catcher and clip on rear guard but usually don't bother.

Saying all that, I'm struggling with drop bars having tried a few different styles so am considering a XC bike.....

View attachment 721589
That looks really nice.

Could always try and find wider bars so ypu have that if you wanted less time on dropsm or convert to flat bar?

You had a planet x carbon xc bike thing I'd I'm not mistaken? So at least you know what they both ride like to see what bike type suits you

Whilst I too romanticise the scenes depcited in the RSF Archive, it is hard to shake the appeal of the modern, minimalist bikepacking set up.

I think this is 100% a "you do you" discussion, and whilst OP is likley to be perfectly content with a pannier at each corner on his Dawes Galaxy, there are many who enjoy the challenge of travelling as light and as simple as possible. The result is the same: adventure by bike.

I think one aspect I've observed is just how affordable / accessible lightweight camp equipment has become. The essentials physically take up less space allowing your set up to be a lot leaner without much compromise to comfort or safety. It's a similar story for cycling equipment also, but without the additional expense of racks / panniers (as pointed out, may not even be compatible with your bike), the cost of entry is lower and a little more obtainable to the the budding bicycle adventurer.

My $0.02. Nothing else to add than to share my own budget rackless adventure set up :p

P7300061.jpg

Slightly OT, but how are people carrying the essentials when mountain biking nowadays? I used to be a rucksack wearer (with water, sandwiches, waterproofs, tube, tools etc). Never got on with seat packs. Now I've pretty much rationalised it to a hip back with tube and pump either taped or strapped to the frame. Waterproof trousers rolled up tightly and strapped to the hip pack. Keeps most of the weight off the bike still, but kinder to my shoulders and no more sweaty back. As one of the other posters mentioned innovations in clothing etc, means you can carry similar gear in smaller volume.

Slightly OT, but how are people carrying the essentials when mountain biking nowadays? I used to be a rucksack wearer (with water, sandwiches, waterproofs, tube, tools etc). Never got on with seat packs. Now I've pretty much rationalised it to a hip back with tube and pump either taped or strapped to the frame. Waterproof trousers rolled up tightly and strapped to the hip pack. Keeps most of the weight off the bike still, but kinder to my shoulders and no more sweaty back. As one of the other posters mentioned innovations in clothing etc, means you can carry similar gear in smaller volume.
I am finding this great for the tools I need, just about big enough https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi.../super-byasi-storage-bottle-black-247102.html

Whilst I too romanticise the scenes depcited in the RSF Archive, it is hard to shake the appeal of the modern, minimalist bikepacking set up.

I think this is 100% a "you do you" discussion, and whilst OP is likley to be perfectly content with a pannier at each corner on his Dawes Galaxy, there are many who enjoy the challenge of travelling as light and as simple as possible. The result is the same: adventure by bike.

I think one aspect I've observed is just how affordable / accessible lightweight camp equipment has become. The essentials physically take up less space allowing your set up to be a lot leaner without much compromise to comfort or safety. It's a similar story for cycling equipment also, but without the additional expense of racks / panniers (as pointed out, may not even be compatible with your bike), the cost of entry is lower and a little more obtainable to the the budding bicycle adventurer.

My $0.02. Nothing else to add than to share my own budget rackless adventure set up :p

View attachment 722874
Really like the Marin.

I am finding this great for the tools I need, just about big enough https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi.../super-byasi-storage-bottle-black-247102.html

I've tried similar. Ok a lot of the time but on particularly rough stuff have a tendency to be jolted out the cage. For a day trip out I often use an Alpkit Wombat for tools & spare tube. Not going anywhere.

Back