Gravel bike packing, its all done wrong IMO

I think the key word here is "Marketing"
A gravel bike is the modern name for a touring bike imho .

What ever it is, it still needs pedalling .
But they arent as good at being touring bikes as more traditional designs, more expensive and more hassle to maintain (expensive 1x transmission, integrated cables inside the frame), not as good at carrying big loads (no mounting points for carriers) and not as repairable in far away places, when touring I just want standard easy to find components, no fancy bottom brackets, cheap easy to find cassettes and chains (3x7 or 3x8 for me) and personally I stick to V brakes as you can buy them and repair them anywhere, I think they are a fad that will pass soon

Last edited:
But they arent as good at being touring bikes as more traditional designs, more expensive and more hassle to maintain (expensive 1x transmission, integrated cables inside the frame), not as good at carrying big loads (no mounting points for carriers) and not as repairable in far away places, when touring I just want standard easy to find components, no fancy bottom brackets, cheap easy to find cassettes and chains (3x7 or 3x8 for me) and personally I stick to V brakes as you can buy them and repair them anywhere, I think they are a fad that will pass soon

They are not just rebranded touring bikes any more than a downhill bike is a rebranded XC bike. You can still buy any number of touring bikes if that's your thing, that will fulfil your requirements. 1x doesn't have to be expensive and Shimano hollowtech bb's have been around almost as long as the 90's style square taper were standard fit and are no more expensive. You can still buy bikes with V's and plenty have mechanical discs but hydraulic discs are not expensive and for the majority of people are the best option.

There are people who will insist every new standard, geometry or innovation is best and everything that came before is terrible. There are also those who don't see why we moved on from 3x7, V's, 26 inch wheels and rigid forks. The vast majority of us just get on with riding what we have and what's available while maybe dipping our toe in to new areas when the marketing men decide to brainwash us. 🤭

They are not just rebranded touring bikes
I agree, I was responding to the suggestion by bagpuss that Gravel bikes were the new touring bike, they are not, they dont make particularly good touring bikes (you can do it but my Dawes Super galaxy is a better fit), they can be used for some types of light touring granted, but for hauling a tent and loads of gear in distant lands, give me my traditional touring steed any day

Yeah, sorry, I was sort of responding to you both after you quoted him.

Let's be honest, marketing has always been a huge part of the bike industry with people paid to try to convince us to buy something new. Some of it works and then others jump on the bandwagon and you end up with loads of 'gravel bikes' on sale. Who knows if they will stick around or burn brightly for a while before fizzling out or being absorbed in to another group (see Fat Bikes, 29er+, E-stay).

All I know is that I ride my gravel bike further and more often than any other bike I've had. It fits in with what I like and the time I have available. I prefer proper mountain biking but the GB gets me pedalling more which is a good thing!

As a novice bikepacker (but experienced backpacker) I'm interested to know more about your touring steed & gear used. I'm guessing it's not the Dawes as you just got that. Personally, I had a 650b gravel bike bought with a staff discount with plenty of rack mounts & if you got on with drops it would IMO have made a good bikepacking or mixed surface touring bike. 1x10 I think it was. I only used it for commuting (mostly gravel & cycle track) & didn't get on with the drops. I thought it was swifter that my alt bar Y2K P7 26er but Strava shows only seconds in it over 11 miles. Now sold.

I think it would be a more positive contribution (especially considering the theme & content of this site) if you showed us your set up in use & why it was so great rather than implying those who may spend more or who do it differently are getting it wrong.

Last edited:
I think it just a different take on a type "of riding " back in the day folk rode what ever bike they had for work etc . Early rough stuff fellowship riders really cut the trails, pass storming on rough roads etc . I take my hat of to them
rough-stuff-fellowship-book-2000x1333.jpg

For those who have not heard of this band of these intrepid souls you may find this interesting .

I ride both new and classic bikes ,and enjoy them all . I think we are sold a dream by the marketing men " you need one of these".
For me a light bike means" it makes going slower, easier"
For a long time after the change from 27x1x1 1/4 {and a good choice of tread patterns} ,to 700c and having narrow tyres was the thing . I just found them dam uncomfortable . Guess what!? wide tyres are now the thing to have . {and they stop my fillings falling out} . There is really nothing new in cycling apart from time and getting us to part with our hard earnt money .
At least now bikes have more sensible gears .52/42 was once the norm now 46/30 is common .
Most of my bikes since the 1970s are square taper b/b good riddance to cotter pins .
The late Ray Booty once said "its no good having a £1,000 bike if you only have a £100 pair of legs" I plead guilty to this .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back