Going Straight

31.8 A head stem-25.4mm bar clamp ...hmm. Think I may have an old short stem somewhere. Not sure size. I'll have a look, it's off a kids Specialized Hotrocks that I turned into a 'we the people' 6 speed BMX, with suspension forks...looked ace, kids loved the thing!

also need to weigh up here -new stem/new bars/ cost of shifters/brake levers/cables... just keeping a tally....
Shifters and brake levers good seconds from Fleabay -we're at £62 squidlets so far...

You need a shorter stem if she's going to want to ride it drops or flats - 60mm most likely.
This is privacy why she didn't like the drops in the 1st place, so you could try the shorter stem with the current bars. (The bars are quite throwy too)

I doubt you'll find sl-r3030s (sora 3x9 rapidfire plus) used, most units will have mountain pull for the front shift. (sl-m***)
You could get a mtn 9 rf+ s/h to use on the rear gears though, and buy the front new if necessary.
Short stem...think you had it nailed 5 pages back Bikeworkshop.

Once told -as a bit of advice: 'Two ears, one mouth use them in that ratio'
Still learning that one -just shows yer never too old to make stoopid mistakes by not heeding good advice.

Ditch the Renthals, too much hastle...order a short stem 31.8 bar, hold off on bars for now, get her to try drops with this set up before splashing anymore out... plan ;)

Last edited:
Short stem...think you had it nailed 5 pages back Bikeworkshop.

Once told -as a bit of advice: 'Two ears, one mouth use them in that ratio'
Still learning that one -just shows yer never too old to make stoopid mistakes by not heeding good advice.

Ditch the Renthals, too much hastle...order a short stem 31.8 bar, hold off on bars for now, get her to try drops with this set up before splashing anymore out... plan ;)
Get a cheap 25.4 stem from the MTB side of this forum. Bet you can get something for a fiver and use your black bars with a single shim

Those renthals are cool, but I don't think they'd give a good hand/arm position (too wide, too sweepy), or we'd all fit our racers up like that😉

Sora levers arrived -brand new... dee -lighted. Got a widget to shim out the pivot angle to encompass V-brakes on each lever -pretty natty I thought.

Ok -went for some cheepo bars and Sora levers/shifters =all good!
She's delighted, and planning a canal day from Pontypool, via Aberfaraway to Brecon...success -although, stem might be a tad too short, so will try the 70mm one again.

The Northroad/Swept shape was a bit of an issue on tight turning circles, bar ends kept hitting knees... One unexpected result, she asked for the seat to be raised, maybe the more upright position is forcing that -anyway, said it was more comfortable, and felt more in control. Braking is amazing -extra leverage makes a huge difference.

We'll see how it goes, looks a bit different, gearing works really well -and Jo's up for rides again! All boxes ticked! -thx folx :)

IMG_2130.jpeg IMG_2132.jpeg

Sorry, missed out on helping, sorry derailing this thread. Looks like you've cracked it in 5 pages, I could have dragged this out to 10 and made you buy more bike bits in the process! 😜 🤣

Looks great. Stem does look a little short, but that's an easy fix and 100% agree with going with RapidFire vs. old school thumbies, they are easy to use and very intuitive and reliable. The angle of the levers/shifters also looks pretty good, I always get the rider to sit on the bike as if they are riding and open and point their fingers out as if they are inline with their forearm as a start point for angle as this helps eliminate/minimise bending of the wrist that can lead to discomfort.

Does she use roadie SPD's then??? 💪

NAh...not got round to pedals yet for her (well spotted btw) -needs just a bit of a longer stem, it's putting her too upright...the one on it originally was 100mm, this one is 0.000000000000mm. Mid-point be about right -50mm?

Anybody want to swop a 0.00000mm stem for a 50mm long 25.4 clamp ahead stem? ;)

Latest posts

Back