Going Straight

+1 on Rapidfire or EZ Fire.

I've used Alivio and Acera EZ Fire 7 and 8-speed sets for mrs non-fixie's bikes in the past. They were €30 or so for a set at the time.

I believe there were 9-speed verions as well. Not sure if those are still available.

Altus is, and is pretty cheap:

(Edit: you will need an MTB front changer.)
Altus 2x9.jpg

Superb...can swop in and swop them back out again ... I'll have a peek and see what's around. Local bike store in always has bits + bobs too..

MTB front changer -I have an old XT 2008 I think so likely the ticket.

Now apologies to the forum.
I posted up this thread on three occasions -first two disappeared... so added another because i though they'd gone. Twerp.

They reappeared this morning -So now there's 3 threads...Ooops. First for everything.

She's good with Thumbies, old MTB has them and she's ridden that almost 20 times in 10 years.
It's 25mm Tyres on 700 hoops she's got issues with, narrow tyres + drops. I get it.

Last edited:
Squeeze in the biggest tyres too - you can probably get 28s in there, which means you can drop the pressure massively, so you end up with twice the comfort and 4x the contact patch

WRT the bars: you may want to consider a set with a bit of a back sweep. They offer more different hand positions and will be more comfortable for longer rides.

Even northroads may work, if the back-swept portions are long enough.

Here's a bike I once saw with such a setup, which I rather liked:

975455a1-8cbe-4d4c-afc9-557dfa14b937.jpg

SWEEPY-TASTIC . . .Randonner, is that another name for em'?

Actually that's a pretty cool set up...
Now ordered those SORA 2 x 9 rapidfires...

But also...these... SORA again -BL-R3000 Dual-Pivot Flat Bar levers.

Someone tell me I've done the right thing and got the right ones? ;)

Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 12.08.37.png

Did put some new Conti RIDE TOURS on it too -28mm !! Hey presto Road to allround dirtbag

Last edited:
WRT the bars: you may want to consider a set with a bit of a back sweep. They offer more different hand positions and will be more comfortable for longer rides.

Even northroads may work, if the back-swept portions are long enough.

Here's a bike I once saw with such a setup, which I rather liked:
Have some mid 30's Lauterwassers somewhere I think -Black, I'll have a look see if I still have them -might have given them away a few years back...can't remember damn it.

Kind of like these for that Vintage sit up and beg 'z900' look -those who know will get that one.

Polished alloy, Fleabay, £= Happy price + I have a 31.8 to 25mm shim in another box...again in the same 'somewhere' as the Lauterwassers...

Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 12.35.00.png Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 12.34.48.png

Last edited:
Back