Going Straight

Jez Nemeth

Retro Guru
Built up a '59 Experto Crede Hetchins, and with the help of folx on the forum it was retro-modernised, and been on it ever since...

My Mrs -Jo has been watching the build, and mentioned she'd like to go riding again.
Being the supportive partner, and knowing the Specialized I bought off a mate for her B'thday 5 years ago has sat in the shed after 1 ride.
-I am pleased to hear she's up for it, willing to encourage, but also not wanting to spend loads if the experiment doesn't fire her up...get the picture. She's more canal with frequent coffee stops than Paris-Roubaix.

Problem -she don't like drop bars.

Solution -straight bars with thumbshifters.

Q? What thumbies are good for compact up front, 9 spd cassette rear -all Shimano?

Folx? @Guinessisgoodforyou , @non-fixie , @27motorhead , @bikeworkshop IMG_2103.jpeg

Last edited:
These get my vote, not cheap but they work really well

EDIT, not sure why the link says XT, the above are dura ace bar end shifters with flat bar mounts

or trigger shifters from a road group so they have the correct pull for the front mech

EDIT EDIT - sora triggers are cheaper here

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s108p3711/SHIMANO-Sora-SL-R3000-R3030-9-speed-Road-Flat-Bar-Shifters

Last edited:
It’s the future

Zoom in. Flats with funky bar ends.
Wakky! Love em' -not sure the mrs will know where to put hands though...but ingenious..Natty frame too -the whole setup suits -someone spent good time building that baby.

BTW -Wherre in the world is that coastline??? feel I know it -stunning! What a great place for a promoshot.

Last edited:
These get my vote, not cheap but they work really well

EDIT, not sure why the link says XT, the above are dura ace bar end shifters with flat bar mounts

or trigger shifters from a road group so they have the correct pull for the front mech

EDIT EDIT - sora triggers are cheaper here

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s108p3711/SHIMANO-Sora-SL-R3000-R3030-9-speed-Road-Flat-Bar-Shifters
Sora -let's go second hand.

It's not that the mrs ain't worth it, or that I've got short arms and long pockets. Just hate to spend a ton and see the bike sitting there after it's second ride... I'll search fleabay see what's on offer from the ether. :)

Those Deore's are most exquisite...she has to prove to me that cycling is her new god -or has another B'day before I shell out...looking for a modest second-hand sorta price tag here...

If for me i'd have no hesitation, I know I'd use them until they wear out...

Wakky! Love em' -not sure the mrs will know where to put hands though...but ingenious..Natty frame too -the whole setup suits -someone spent good time building that baby.

BTW -Wherre in the world is that coastline??? feel I know it -stunning! What a great place for a promoshot.
Staithes North Yorkshire a few miles from my place.

You need a shorter stem if she's going to want to ride it drops or flats - 60mm most likely.
This is privacy why she didn't like the drops in the 1st place, so you could try the shorter stem with the current bars. (The bars are quite throwy too)

I doubt you'll find sl-r3030s (sora 3x9 rapidfire plus) used, most units will have mountain pull for the front shift. (sl-m***)
You could get a mtn 9 rf+ s/h to use on the rear gears though, and buy the front new if necessary.

Thumbies area harder to use than rf+ if you already have the correct SIS cassette and derailleurs - so not advisable if you want to lure someone into cycling.

Ideal for a certain kind of gentleman who already own 1,000,000 bikes though!😉

Back