Girvin crosslinks. What do they look good on and is a disc conversion viable?

The one I've bought has the ODS shock. How does this compare with a noleen? I've had noleen ones before and of course that's the rear shock as stock on the RTS.

Last edited:
The one I've bought has the ODS shock. How does this compare with a noleen? I've had nollen ones before and of course that's the rear shock as stock on the RTS.
I think the Noleen has better rebound and a bit more upmarket

Forks arrived today, but I have a challenge already. The steerer is 1 inch, not 1 1/8 and the intended bike is of course 1 1/8. I know it's possible to shim a stem and the lower crow race, but the top end of the headset?

Chances of finding a 1 1/8 top end and steerer for the forks are probably slim.

Might have to go back to the drawing board on this one.

You've got early crosslinks ( labelled Girvin not Noleen) that were shimmed to1⅛ but used a 1" stem. I've got a pair on a Proflex Reptile Frame. The generation after were 1⅛ true

Yes, that's what the title says, though I can't see how I can run a 1 1/8 headset. There may be a shim in the upper linkage assembly, but it's the same size as the linkage/clamp area so the rest of the steerer is 1 inch.

Can't you just use a 1" headset and reducer shims in the headtube and stem?

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I could, but that's a faff and I bought them as 1 1/8 forks. Kind of defeats the object of the shim principle if they are shimmed to fit 1 1/8 but have a 1 inch steerer. If this was possible by design, I can't see how it would work in practice.

Yeah they use a shim on the top and had a specific crown race. 1" spacers and a 1" Proflex stem. You are better finding some Noleen Crosslinks

Forks arrived today, but I have a challenge already. The steerer is 1 inch, not 1 1/8 and the intended bike is of course 1 1/8. I know it's possible to shim a stem and the lower crow race, but the top end of the headset?

Chances of finding a 1 1/8 top end and steerer for the forks are probably slim.

Might have to go back to the drawing board on this one.

I must apologise, I assumed , wrongly, they were 1"1/8 as previous Cross-links I've had were all 1"1/8, I never thought to actually check. They came originally from a Proflex 657 I believe.
I've sent you a PM, happy to pay return postage & refund you in full if they're not going to work out for you.

If anyone is interested in them, and to save @jimo746 paying for return postage, they are back for sale.

Latest posts

Back