Giant TCR/MCR carbon spoke wheels

PIGEON

Retro Guru
I recently bought a bike which came with a set of those Giant carbon spoked wheels originally found in the TCR and MCR models. The rear wheel has 3 broken spokes, and the seller told me he had suffered 3 broken spokes already, changed them for new ones and then they (or 3 other spokes) broke again. He told me he thought all the spokes were dried out and he recommended me to bin the rear wheel.

Now my question is: Is it possible for the spokes to dry out after a certian period of time? I'm thinking maybe he didn't tighten his replacement spokes properly, resulting in a lack of integrity and more broken spokes. Is breaking spokes a common problem with these wheels?

These are the wheels in question:

3836117819_cca88762da.jpg

3836119099_9f7a0d0cbd.jpg

i sold a few bikes with these on back in the day, didn't have any trouble with spokes that i remember but the hub and freehub used to creak and the freehub itself used to die, and giant never seemed to have spares for them.

personally never really liked them to be honest

sorry :(

No need to be sorry, just here to get some opinions ;)

Just trying to figure out what would be the most sensible thing to do: spend some 15 quid on 3 replacement spokes (with the risk of breaking them again) or spend a lot more on a new wheelset (which wouldn't match my MCR as well, but would definitely solve the problem)

if you can get hold of the spokes for 15 quid it has to be worth having a go. i would suggest marking the ones you replace though in some way so that you'll know if it is the same ones breaking again.

good luck :)

That's a good idea, I'll mark the spokes with some electrical tape. I found a website selling the spokes in three different lengths, so need to measure my spokes and hope they have those too.

Back