GIANT ATX 900 series rear stays

DuncanDesigns

Dirt Disciple
I am restoring/ updating a Giant ATX 900 from 1997 but i want to install disc brakes front and rear. This frame didnt come with rear disc mounts so I want to use the rear chain stays from an 1997 ATX 950 or 1998 ATX 990. I only need the rear chain stays but would buy a complete frame if thats what is available.

Thanks

Giant-ATX-990-Frame-Only.jpg

Re:

I’m not sure any of the ‘97 ATX range had disc mounts (the two ‘97 ATX 990 frames I have don’t that’s for sure) so I would have thought you need to look for ‘98 onwards?

Re:

Yes, i need the rear end of a 1998+ ATX 990 or an ATX 970 series as i intend to use the rear stays which have disc mounts and put them on my 1997 ATX 900, which does not have disc mounts. The fittings and spacing were the same in 1998 as they were in 1997 so a swap of the chain stays is an easy job. I am also CNCing new linkage plates to lower the bb and relax the head angle. Travel will also be increased slightly. The shock is being replaced by a Cane Creek DB air shock and the forks will be updated to 2018 Rock Shox Recon Solo Air.

Re:

I made the new linkage plates today. These are the first version. I have 2 more variations to try. Still on the hunt for an ATX 970 from '98 or ATX 950 if there's any out there.

Project so far -

Attachments

• IMG_2931.JPG
    IMG_2931.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_2938.JPG
    IMG_2938.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_E2939.JPG
    IMG_E2939.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 403
Very interested to see how this went?! Did your new plates increase travel or just slacken the head angle/lower bottom bracket etc?

Did you ever build it fully up? :)

I have made some progress on this project but not as much as I would have liked. Life sometimes gets in the way of these things!
So far I have upgraded the forks to RockShox Revelations, added a Cane Creek Headset and put on a set of Crank Bros wheels. I have added componentry from Thomson – stem handlebars, seat post and seat pin.
I am still having trouble getting my hands on a GIANT ATX900 from 1998 to use the rear end from, for the disc mounts. If I can source one of these I should be close to complete. I would just like to find a suitable air shock in 185mm length and when I do I’ll be one step closer to completion.

If anyone knows of an old ATX900 frame I could use, please let me know

Re:

Another update on this project. I have waited long enough to try and source an alternative rear end so rather than wait any longer i decided to design a bracket that would hold the rear disc caliper. So far i just have it 3D printed and hope to get it CNC’d in the next couple of weeks.

Attachments

• 6FFFC6A4-B624-4B09-96C9-02C1F39EE82C.jpeg
    6FFFC6A4-B624-4B09-96C9-02C1F39EE82C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
Re:

Looking good!

You might want to get this thread moved to Readers MTBs, or start a new one over there to keep the build-up updated.

Back