Getting upright

Build yourself a tourer out of a good quality, big old steel 90s mtb frame. Ive got terrible back/ neck issues and it works for me!

2nd the quill stem route too....easy up and down to dial your ride. Also try a very slighly shorter stem too.

Build yourself a tourer out of a good quality, big old steel 90s mtb frame. Ive got terrible back/ neck issues and it works for me!

2nd the quill stem route too....easy up and down to dial your ride. Also try a very slighly shorter stem too.

A small difference in bar position can radically affect comfort.

(Many people wanting to raise their bars think a foot is the least you should raise them🤣)

Additionally larger tyres reduce shock, softer or ergo grips, padded gloves.

Some glasses wearers crank their heads back because their glasses frames are in the way!

These are just general points about neck pain though and probably not relevant to @Ajoten who possibly needs some more drastic action.
It all helps though.

A small MTB with BMX style handlebars is surprisingly fun. I had a slightly too small Sunn Titanium, and it became a thing of joy when I eventually added BMX bars to it. It is a radical transformation though.

1722596420574.png

I would not recommend a recumbent if you have steep hills. I have two and they've barely been out of the garage as they are impossible to ride up the hills I ride with no problem on a conventional bike. They were acquired after nostalgic memories of riding one in Cheshire which is, of course, much flatter. If you are in North Wales, you are welcome to pop over and try one.

A small MTB with BMX style handlebars is surprisingly fun. I had a slightly too small Sunn Titanium, and it became a thing of joy when I eventually added BMX bars to it. It is a radical transformation though.

View attachment 872854

I would not recommend a recumbent if you have steep hills. I have two and they've barely been out of the garage as they are impossible to ride up the hills I ride with no problem on a conventional bike. They were acquired after nostalgic memories of riding one in Cheshire which is, of course, much flatter. If you are in North Wales, you are welcome to pop over and try one.

i'd adjust those levers mate.

I build them for an easy, comfy ride but keeping the classic flavour:-

Attachments

• cs1.jpg
    cs1.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 13
  • cs2.jpg
    cs2.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 12
  • cs3.jpg
    cs3.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 11
  • cs4.jpg
    cs4.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 8
  • cs5.jpg
    cs5.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 10
What about a Pedersen? Designed from the ground up for the bad of back. I've never ridden one on real hills mind, but on rolling roads I found it a chilled experience.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Gazelle offered a semi-race version of their top-of-the-line Champion Mondial during the seventies and eighties. It could be ordered with either drop bars or north road type bars.

Expensive BITD, they can be found for surprisingly little money these days.

Anyway, my preferred format for an upright bike:

CM-semi-race-1984.jpeg

Latest posts

Back